Thread: My introduction to the ReWalk exoskeleton

My introduction to the ReWalk exoskeleton

ReWalk came to town to train the PTs at the place I go and I was a volunteer subject. This video is after considerable attempts; it isn't as intuitive as it looks and the therapist behind me is helping me with the side-to-side leaning that's crucial to getting this going.
    https://youtu.be/qkqIVbhnW9k
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm. I'm glad they're developing this tech, but I don't think it's for me, just yet. The whole time I was thinking, I'd have been back and forth a dozen times , in my chair, in the same time it took to hobble across that path in that contraption. What's the upside? (And I realize being able to stand for a hot minute, like I can, with something to give me an initial boost up, like a counter top, means I'm "lucky", but beyond helping to reach stuff why is this a better mobility option than a chair? Maybe version 223.5 might be, and for that alone I'm grateful for its existence, but it's a hard sell for me.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Upside is dynamically weighting your skeleton. It's only therapeutic regardless of what Rewalk might say or depict in their videos. It's a long way from functional ambulation.

Plus they cost about $100k and can't do 0-60 in under 4 second. Oh and my insurance would never cover it.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. Therapy is good, too, I reckon. Just doesn't seem practical. And the cost! Wow. Guess I'm waiting for version 235.5 after all.

I'm glad for the folks that do seem to think it's worth it, and make the investment. I think t8burst recently bought one, IIRC.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Like Oddity, I'm all for it getting developed. It's cool stuff. I might consider owning one when it can run 20 mph leap small buildings and go 100 miles on a charge. Until then I'll stay at my lower, but more reliable, elevation.

that is so neat to walk but yeah cost prohiative not going a walk in park but......

Both workers comp (OH) and the VA cover them, though the VA requires 10 weeks of training. The VA is great for SCIs. They cover handcycles and even skis and accessible ski trips. I think I'm going to enlist.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I wish I'd know before I went out and got my SCI... feel totally short changed now .

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Both workers comp (OH) and the VA cover them, though the VA requires 10 weeks of training. The VA is great for SCIs. They cover handcycles and even skis and accessible ski trips. I think I'm going to enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Plus they cost about $100k
    How much is the helical gears option? But cool video nonetheless. How close to the 'point of no return' side to side motion do you have to get for it to 'walk'?