Thread: Routine maintenance of van lift, door opener, and transfer seat

Routine maintenance of van lift, door opener, and transfer seat

I know what my mechanic does when I take my car in for routine service. He changes the oil, tops off other fluids, rotates the tires, lubes the axles, and looks for signs of failure. What are the routine maintenance requirements for lifts, door openers, and transfer seats? Obviously, you want to keep tracks and moving parts clean and well lubricated. Is there an alignment and safety checklist? It would be nice to know rather than just handing it over for service without a clue. Do you take it to a shop or is this something you do yourself?

Light lubrication is all that's needed on the lift, seat base and door opener. I just have AB friend(s) do my service. If someone is capable of servicing the vehicle, they should be able to see anything else that needs attention.

I take mine in every 6mths for "mobility" checkup. They go over all the lift, openers, transfer seats and hc's. Worth it imo. I even have them change the oil etc. Mobility works does mine.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

keeping thing maintained prolongs life in them vans cars anything you maintain it it last longer I do a spring check up belts hoses tires etc evn before sci we did that

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Light lubrication is all that's needed on the lift, seat base and door opener. I just have AB friend(s) do my service. If someone is capable of servicing the vehicle, they should be able to see anything else that needs attention.
    that's what I figured. Just keep it clean and lubricated and inspect with every oil change.

In my opinion, lubrication every six months isn't enough and the van literature recommends more frequent lubrication. Basically wipe off the old lube with a rag and lightly spray with new lube. What I use depends on the location. WD-40 is common as is a dry liquid wrench lube. I lube hinge points, the door roller track, the ramp bifold hinge, hand control pivot points, and give a nice thin coating to the pan that has the lower roller. That area tends to corrode quickly, as it can collect snow and ice. Use a Q-tip to remove dust from hard to remove areas before giving a shot of lube.

Then moving on to standard areas, lube your door/hood/tailgate hinges, armor all/silicone rubber weatherstripping, armor all plastic parts, etc.

Whenever I'm done doing this I can smell the difference. Whenever my mobility dealer does it, sometimes it doesn't smell at all, which leads me to believe they may not be doing a thorough job.