Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you eat noodles?

How do you eat noodles?

I?m not sure whether this is the right place to ask. The food forum seems to be more diet oriented while my question is more of a topic about adaptability.

So I really like eating noodles especially Ramen but since I became quadriplegic, I haven?t been eating them as much as I would like to because it typically involves me being fed. It?s just way too messy when I try to eat on my own. The soup splatters everywhere and the noodles are almost impossible to get into a spoon.

I have wrist control on my left but not my right. The strategy I?ve been trying or rather thinking of trying would be to have my adaptive spoon on my left and my adoptive fork on my right. I would use the fork to push the noodles on to the spoon but this doesn?t really seem to be a good strategy.

Do any of you have your own methods that you could share on how to eat noodles? Theres this udon shop that just opened near me which doesn?t allow take out but seems to be really delicious. I would like to try it.

Break the dry noodles into bite size lengths before cooking.

Those long ramen noodles signify longevity, especially on New Years Eve/Day. And traditionally long noodles should never be cut up in preparation or eating, but I guess, we just have to take our chances and break (as above) dry noodles before cooking, or cut them up after they are cooked before eating.

At home, NL breaks spaghetti, bucatini, angel hair, fettuccini, and linguine before cooking. If I ordered noodles out, she would probably take two knives and slice through the noodles in the bowl to make them easier to eat. I imagine a pair of scissors would chopped though a bowl of cooked noodles pretty easily. I know not really cool at a restaurant. You might consider asking your server to have the kitchen staff cut up the noodles in your bowl before bringing your soup to the table, to make it easier for you to enjoy.

I love Ramens too but hardly ever eat them because it can be so messy. I don't have any suggestions for the noodle cutting but one thing that can help with the mess are these bibs with crumb catchers, check out https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Ad.../dp/B010CGD0HG
    I have my CNA tie it just loose enough so that I can put it on and take it off easily. They work great and can be had on eBay for around $8 for a pack of 25. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Daniel G.

I'm not a quad. In my travels to Japan, they eat everything from individual bowls. Holding the bowl near their mouth and shoveling in the food with the chop sticks. I loved it. I could finally use chop sticks.

How about those thick plastic straws they use for smoothies and other thick drinks, they are pretty sturdy and you could pick out any noodle you want.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    How about those thick plastic straws they use for smoothies and other thick drinks, they are pretty sturdy and you could pick out any noodle you want.
    That is a good one...NL is making chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight, I'll get that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I'm not a quad. In my travels to Japan, they eat everything from individual bowls. Holding the bowl near their mouth and shoveling in the food with the chop sticks. I loved it. I could finally use chop sticks.
    I have a great Vietnamese hole-in-the-wall place near work and the regulars do this and it is amazing to watch. Chopsticks shoveling two egg rolls and an entire bowl of pho with noodles/meat and only chopsticks. I'm technically a quad C6-7 and can use chopsticks moderately efficiently now but it is a challenge. I present more like a mid para.

Slurping hot liquid and noodles though a straw was difficult. My tongue, just didn't have a good sense of what was coming at it.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Slurping hot liquid and noodles though a straw was difficult. My tongue, just didn't have a good sense of what was coming at it.
    Was it a regular straw or one of those fat hard ones?
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"