Thread: Pleural Effusions

Blog Entries

Question Pleural Effusions

I've been having problems with fluid building up in the tissue surrounding my lungs. Doctors are having difficulty figuring out why this keeps happening. I was wondering if SCI itself could be a cause? I've not found anything that says yes.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Did you have an untreated chest injury when you injured your spine. I did, but my health recs have asbestos exposure.

I've had one pleural effusion, 3.5 litres drained from my chest! No wonder I was struggling to breathe even with a vent. According to my doctors they do just happen but most likely causes are lung cancer, heart disease or infection, did they do tests for all of those? I had all the tests including analysing the fluid from chest and no problems were seen. I was told that if it became a regular problem they could use talcum powder to "glue" lungs onto chest so that the fluid had no where to build up.

Blog Entries
    No untreated chest injury that I'm aware of. I've had fluid drained twice. About 1.5 L each time. No signs of heart disease, infection, or lung cancer. One blood test showed the possibility of autoimmune disease so that is now being investigated.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

They can occur when the capacity of the breath is not high enough. Fluid starts to come in.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.