Thread: Tailbone pain

Tailbone pain

For the past few days I have been experiencing quite a bit of pain in my coccyx/tailbone area. I am complete T6 and have no feeling or sensation at this level... but for some reason I can feel it internally... almost as if my bones are burning/on fire. Externally it looks perfectly normal. No redness, everything seems fine.. however it hurts, a lot. If I lay on my stomach and keep pressure off the area it seems to get a bit better... but I'm not sure what could be the cause of this and what I should do next. Plan to schedule an appointment with my family doc when they reopen Monday morning... but the pain is pretty strong I might want to go to a walk in clinic..
    complete t6. injured skiing nov 2017.

X-ray first to rule out any issue. However, could be neuropathic pain and it feels like coming from coccyx but is just the nerve (s) giving those symptoms. If neuropathic pain then Gabapentin or lyrica *Pregabalin) used. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks, I will request an X-ray.

Don't know how it could possibly be nerve pain... since it seems to provide relief when I remove pressure from it... but also don't see how it could be any other type of pain or how I can feel it at all if my spinal cord is completely severed... so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Took some pregablin yesterday (300mg) as a test to see if it was nerve pain. Seemed to make it feel better, also made me high as a kite as I don't take pregablin anymore because it messes with GABA too much. Guess I'll just have to deal with the pain till it becomes unnoticeable again like all my other nerve pain. Thanks for the help!

You should be seen by your health care provider before just starting a medication. Please check with them prior to taking anymore medication.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Dont plan on taking anything else... but dont see the harm in testing it out myself like I've done in this situation. Much easier than making an appointment with the doc, having him prescribe stuff, going to pharmacy and whatnot when I can just do it myself since I had some lying around and know if I need it or not...
    complete t6. injured skiing nov 2017.

The harm is that you may not be taking the correct medication and it could screw up the diagnosis. Also, how your body reacts to a drug can vary from episode to episode. It is just my recommendation that you not do this - self medication can be dangerous. Obviously you know your body better than I do and also what is going on with it.
    ckf