Thread: Dolphin FIS mattress compatible bed

Dolphin FIS mattress compatible bed

My doctor prescribed me Dolphin FIS mattress and Invacare full-electric bed. He considers UltraCare XT as not a medical necessity. I?m happy with Invacare bed unless it is not compatible with the Dolphin mattress.

My concern is whether the spring sag of the bed would lack enough support or in the worst case even damage the Dolphin mattress. The Joerns tech support directs me to the local representative who is not very clear about his views.

Is there any recommendation from the manufacturer or experts on the hospital beds to use with Dolphin FIS. Do anyone of you using either Dolphin FIS or LAL mattress with spring deck without any issues?

Thanks for your help.

In my experience, both low air loss and air-fluid immersion simulation (Dolphin) mattresses work best with a solid or non-spring pan/deck bed frame rather than a spring pan/deck. The springs allow too much sag, and on some beds can poke holes in the bottom of the mattress air cells.

Another consideration is that the UltraCare XT has an option for a battery back-up for the bed frame motors, which is not available with the Invacare bed frame. If you live someplace with frequent power outages that may be a justification for its use vs. the Invacare.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I used a Dolphin and it just went on whatever hospital bed the VA gave me. No one asked when they supplied it, except what size I needed. I had an LAl before it and they didn't change the bed when they changed the mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I used a Dolphin and it just went on whatever hospital bed the VA gave me. No one asked when they supplied it, except what size I needed. I had an LAl before it and they didn't change the bed when they changed the mattress.
    I would guess you have an Invacare frame, since that is the standard VA issue. We had to jump through several hoops with P&SA service to get a UltraCare XT for our Veterans.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.