Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: speeding up bowel transit time

Are you able to share resources or more detail on the least problematic options? On its way out, some recently ingested corn evinced a 48 hour transit time, but even that had a girth that threatened to clog the sewer plumbing. Could my fondness in recent years for probiotic and organic foods have led to a gut that can convert food to concrete before the chewing is barely done? Can diet be sufficiently altered to compensate for my ravenously efficient gut flora, or are my only options between pharmaceuticals and this quarry of a colon?

My disregard for big pharma has helped reduce my use of prescribed drugs to hardly any. Softer poop would make life less consistently miserable and sweaty, but the very thought of violating my long abused rectal sphincter even more frequently makes it clamp tightly shut in screaming phantom pain. The most natural advice so far has been to eat prunes and unrinsed quinoa (for the sapopin coating). I can't eat enough prunes apparently without emulating a pungent and persistent tuba and the sapopins have the same problems as drugs I think.

I'd love to have a sensible strategy for escalating efforts to soften the stool while minimizing reliance on pharmaceuticals, my obstinance on that last point is diminishing.

While the food you eat is certainly very important, are you drinking enough water? That too is an important component of your GI system. Also sitting up for your routine. And getting enough exercise (I realize that is challenging). Consistency in timing seems to hold a key also.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Linzess has helped my bowel motility problem.

I drink lots of water, probably two gallons a day on avg, exercise is a challenge, but does help. Some kind of sensible escalation plan from where I am to the point of myriad ameliorative inputs like some people described here would be useful to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by everhad View Post
    I drink lots of water, probably two gallons a day on avg, exercise is a challenge, but does help. Some kind of sensible escalation plan from where I am to the point of myriad ameliorative inputs like some people described here would be useful to a lot of people.
    Three gallons of water consumed in a day is crazy dangerous! You could be at great risk for hyponatremia which can be life threatening, resulting in coma and death. If you are consuming that much water every day, you need to have frequent blood tests to monitor your electrolyte balance. Take it from someone who has been of the edge on death with very low sodium and an electrolyte imbalance. So very dangerous.

That is an awful lot of water. gjnl is right - please be careful and have your electrolytes monitored closely. I would encourage you to cut back some.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

A person with a healthy spinal cord would read this thread and wonder why we all haven't shot ourselves. Bowel programs, the gift that keeps on giving.......

A damaged spinal cord doesn't necessarily mean bowel programs. I'm 18 years into it and never did a program. I know when I have to go, always did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    A damaged spinal cord doesn't necessarily mean bowel programs. I'm 18 years into it and never did a program. I know when I have to go, always did.
    I was like that until this time last year... enjoy it.

I had my first post-injury colonoscopy on Monday this week and I had barely any stool 48 hours after so I'm looking at a 72 hour transit if I don't have an accident before tomorrow morning. This is quite distressing for me; the idea of 3 days of food jammed up in my parabelly isn't a pleasant one. I guess I really am full of sh*t!

Investigating miralax...what is best for reducing transit time without creating shitpocalypse? I'm currently leaking a lot of urine (botox in a week or two) as my oxybutynin threw in the towel and stopped working so increasing fluids isn't a good option for now.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.