Thread: Does Epidural Stimulation help you walk better?

Does Epidural Stimulation help you walk better?

For those lucky enough to walk have you had this done? Does this stim help you walk better? Would doctors need to open my back or is this stim done on the skin?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I've been studying this for a while and I'd say no. It seems like there is a lot of smoke and mirror relating to Epidural Stimulation. I don't see many of the people who have had this done up and walking around. I really don't see many benefits to it at all unfortunately, I wish I could think otherwise but there is just not much evidence I've seen that it does a heck of a lot other than increase the excitability of neurons in the spinal cord. It's been talked about for so many years now and I've finally realized it's mostly just all talk.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    For those lucky enough to walk have you had this done? Does this stim help you walk better? Would doctors need to open my back or is this stim done on the skin?
    I wouldn’t listen to people who don’t even read your question. There are implanted and external stimulators being tested now. I would guess that if you’re walking a little now that the stim would be very beneficial. Hopefully you don’t have much longer to wait for the NRT results to come in. I can tell you that transdermal stim is helping ASIA A complete SCI people volitionally move muscles below their injury level for the first time in many years.

The one guy I remember having it done here has since passed. 'alhavel'

He posted a bit here but do a search and read more of his experiences:

Post #3 and on:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1818819
    Last edited by lynnifer; 04-12-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Shit...had no idea he had up and went. He kinda was one that kept me challenging myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    I wouldn’t listen to people who don’t even read your question. There are implanted and external stimulators being tested now. I would guess that if you’re walking a little now that the stim would be very beneficial. Hopefully you don’t have much longer to wait for the NRT results to come in. I can tell you that transdermal stim is helping ASIA A complete SCI people volitionally move muscles below their injury level for the first time in many years.
    Transcutaneous stim - like all cord stim - really is just essentially amplifying electrochemical signals in spared neurons. It doesn’t fix neurons. So one ASIA A with more spared neurons will see more return than another who might see no return. I’d wager most ASIA As will not see much, if any, benefit.

For an incomplete I think the potential benefits are much higher. Regarding walking, there is substantial potential for benefit, but I’d wait for the transcutaneous simply because I’d avoid surgery if possible.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Transcutaneous stim - like all cord stim - really is just essentially amplifying electrochemical signals in spared neurons. It doesn’t fix neurons. So one ASIA A with more spared neurons will see more return than another who might see no return. I’d wager most ASIA As will not see much, if any, benefit.

For an incomplete I think the potential benefits are much higher. Regarding walking, there is substantial potential for benefit, but I’d wait for the transcutaneous simply because I’d avoid surgery if possible.
    Just saw this post. Totally agree with what you said above. I recently got into an argument with someone about intensive activity training and mind control to bring back function. While this may be true in a person who has some spared neurons I know it is not true in a injury as mine where there is no motor function or sensation below the level of injury, or I should say at least after the first couple years of injury. Thats one reason I could never see myself going in on one of those intensive training programs, I have better things to do with my time and money. As far as Transcutaneous stimulation goes I know it would not do a heck of a lot for a complete injury like mine unfortunately, incomplete injuries should try it if they have the chance to do so.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I'm getting fitted for a bioness L300 go, it's a transdermal stimulator for incompletes, hopefully it works for me.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I tried the bioness L300 go and yes it works at least for me. It takes care of the drop foot and helps the quad extension, it is a little shocking at first, but they say you get used to it. I went for trial last week and hooefully the va approves it tomorrow.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"