Thread: Advice replacing low air loss therapy bed

Advice replacing low air loss therapy bed

I am a C4 injured over 30 years. Many years ago I had bilateral It surgery and was on a Clinatron for over one year. I stepped down to a Hill ROM Flexicare Eclipse low air loss bed and have done remarkably well over the last five or six years. Eventually one section of the bed (it has five zones) would not inflate, and Hill ROM refused to fix it because the model is discontinued. I went to the local wound care Center, and had to fail on a couple of mattress overlays made by roho before I was given a Medline Supera low air loss mattress. I am told this is the best mattress this DME provides. Could someone please advise some low air loss systems that are more comparable to Flexicare Eclipse. It would be greatly appreciated, my skin has not been an issue for the last decade, and this Medline Supera is definitely not working.

I've been using a Invacare microAIR MA80 Low Air Loss Mattress since having a flap surgery in 2013. I had one like it that I used for a few years after a flap surgery in 2004. The problem that I have with these mattresses is that the pumps don't last very long before the bearings start making a lot of noise and eventually break altogether. I don't know how my mattress compares to yours, but for the price that they cost, they should last longer or at least come with a longer warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I've been using a Invacare microAIR MA80 Low Air Loss Mattress since having a flap surgery in 2013. I had one like it that I used for a few years after a flap surgery in 2004. The problem that I have with these mattresses is that the pumps don't last very long before the bearings start making a lot of noise and eventually break altogether. I don't know how my mattress compares to yours, but for the price that they cost, they should last longer or at least come with a longer warranty.
    thanks for the response Scott, I appreciate it. It's funny, that Invacare bed you mentioned, is the exact one I have been looking at today. Any idea how much it run you? So you have basically used Invacare micro air since 2004? I had a hill ROM Clinatron following bilateral IT surgery in 2004, used it until my insurance completely paid for it. Problem is it was only maybe 2 feet off the ground and could not elevate, so my PCA's were breaking their backs doing my care. For that reason I gave it back to hill ROM, and they provided me with a Flexicare Eclipse which was basically a five zone LAL mattress. It worked fantastic for me, until it quit recently. This Medline Supera I'm finding is a vastly inferior product. I really need to find something else. But I'm hesitant without at least getting some solid recommendations from people who have used one.

The one I had in 2004 lasted 3-4 years. After the pump went out, I used a Roho overlay (non-pumped style). It worked well for me until my buttock gave out on me again. After the second flap surgery I got another. All of these were purchased by my insurance of medicare and medicaid. I wish I didn't have the problem with my butt (not enough meat and thin, easily torn skin) so that I could go back to the Roho. I miss the quietness and not fearing power outages.

I think the Invacare microAIR MA80 runs around $2500 or more, but I can't say for sure. Good luck with your selection.

I was on a mattress called a Dolphin for 7 months. Suppose to be the best thing around. Only thing wrong with it that I could tell was listening to the pump run 24/7.

My Duo Therm LAL is about 10 yrs old and going strong with no repairs

We use the Envella bed in the home
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We use the Envella bed in the home
    CWO
    is that brand something new? I thought I remember KLD referring to the Invacare micro air beds years ago. Although I could be wrong, thanks for the response.