Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a compact folding wheelchair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for a compact folding wheelchair

What folding wheelchairs are available that are really compact?
    I?m 6?3 and it?s really hard, almost impossible, to remove my rigid chair from my car.
    Never Give Up!

My girls Aero X is pretty small. Fold down back. If you had removable foot rests it would be smaller yet. I have an old Quickie HP. I can get it in about anything, (,honda, fit; Hyundai accent: Buick century) but my Jeep. I have to take the wheels off for that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    My girls Aero X is pretty small. Fold down back. If you had removable foot rests it would be smaller yet. I have an old Quickie HP. I can get it in about anything, (,honda, fit; Hyundai accent: Buick century) but my Jeep. I have to take the wheels off for that.
    I just googled the aero X and they listed the folded width as 12". That seems absurdly wide and maybe wrong since you say the Aero X gets pretty small. Hell if I pop the wheels off of my chair it's only about 13.5 inches wide at the widest point and it's a rigid chair, maybe they are listing the width with the wheels still attached.

Invacare Champion and Progeo Yoga are both worth a look - both behave like rigid chairs but have a folding system.

What car do you drive? And do you mean it's difficult for you, or to get it in the trunk?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I have a motion composites folder and its very light and easy to put in and remove from car, frame is around 10 pounds
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I measured my 35 year old Quickie HP its 11 1/4 inch folded. 6 inches wide with the wheels off. The widest part is the caster housings.
    I measure my girl friends Aero x and it was 11. I said hers was smallish because the back folds down, which makes it no taller than the wheels.
    I started using a folder, because of a rigid. That screwing around taking the wheels off and putting them back on, in the rain, cold. Beating the hell out of the inside of the door. No thanks. I less than a minute, I can snatch the chair in the car and be gone. If someone made a cushion that would fold with the chair it would be even quicker.
    When the OP asked about chair size I took into consideration all the measurements. Height, width, length.
    What rigid do you have. Most of the new rigid's have the caster sticking out 3-4 inches.
    I remember a thread years back that was titled "Cleaning your chair with your T-shirt" about the joys of hauling a rigid frame in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I measured my 35 year old Quickie HP its 11 1/4 inch folded. 6 inches wide with the wheels off. The widest part is the caster housings.
    I measure my girl friends Aero x and it was 11. I said hers was smallish because the back folds down, which makes it no taller than the wheels.
    I started using a folder, because of a rigid. That screwing around taking the wheels off and putting them back on, in the rain, cold. Beating the hell out of the inside of the door. No thanks. I less than a minute, I can snatch the chair in the car and be gone. If someone made a cushion that would fold with the chair it would be even quicker.
    When the OP asked about chair size I took into consideration all the measurements. Height, width, length.
    What rigid do you have. Most of the new rigid's have the caster sticking out 3-4 inches.
    I remember a thread years back that was titled "Cleaning your chair with your T-shirt" about the joys of hauling a rigid frame in your car.
    Ok, this makes a lot more sense to me. I figured 12 inches was way too wide.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’m looking for s chair that can either come apart like a Marvel (I don’t fit in an Icon wheelchair) or collapses like the Quickie Revolution that folded at the metal tubes that bend next to your knees.
    Last edited by TheAbleChef; 04-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Never Give Up!