Thread: Questions for Duette suprapubic catheter users

Blog Entries

Questions for Duette suprapubic catheter users

Sorry for the new thread but I didn?t find quite this information.

I am curious how this is working for people. Specifically:

= What is its mechanism/theory? Does it really let you drain freely while keeping out the stuff that clogs the catheter? The bottom balloon just cushions the tip, right? Nothing filters out mucus and sediment, does it? Why is the placement of the eyelets considered beneficial?

= Have they come out with a larger one? I am a 24 French. Or alternatively, does anyone know of something I can use to augment the outside diameter?

= Does it feel problematic that it takes up more room in there?

= Does it withstand spasms okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Sorry for the new thread but I didn?t find quite this information.

I am curious how this is working for people. Specifically:

= What is its mechanism/theory? Does it really let you drain freely while keeping out the stuff that clogs the catheter? The bottom balloon just cushions the tip, right? Nothing filters out mucus and sediment, does it? Why is the placement of the eyelets considered beneficial? With other foley catheters, the eyelets are at the tip of the catheter and rest against the bladder wall. End of catheter eyelets are more likely to drain sediment that has settled in the bladder, dig into the bladder wall, and suck mucosa into the catheter. The Duette catheter has no filtration capability.
    Interesting video. Via cystoscopy camera a view of a catheter inside of the bladder: https://www.flumecatheter.com/theproblem/

= Have they come out with a larger one? I am a 24 French. Or alternatively, does anyone know of something I can use to augment the outside diameter? Someone on this forum wrote they had been told by a representative of the Poiesis company that a 20Fr was going to be introduced later in April. That said, some here have had success in sizing down to the 18Fr Duette catheter because the stoma quickly heals and adapts to the smaller size.

= Does it feel problematic that it takes up more room in there? Most foley catheters require 10cc of water to fill the balloon. Some even require 30cc. The Duette requires 10cc in one balloon and 5cc in the other, 15cc in total. If the urine is being drained constantly and there is no problem with blockage, the additional 5cc should not be problematic.

= Does it withstand spasms okay? You may actually have fewer spasms with the Duette than with standard foley catheters, although it is probably a good idea to take a low dose of an anticholinergic like Oxybutynin while using any foley catheter.
    I have used the Duette for a couple years and haven't had any issues with it, other than it can be difficult to insert from time to time since it is soft and not as rigid as the latex foley that I used to use. I've never had any problems with sediment, so I don't have experience to relate on that topic.

There is a company in the United Kingdom that is working on a new design for a foley catheter. It is called the Flume Catheter. Maybe this will be another alternative in the near future. https://www.flumecatheter.com/projects/
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-10-2018 at 04:14 PM.