Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad driving issues

Quote Originally Posted by kansrk View Post
    Thanks. My first instruction was to always keep my hands rested on the arm-rest and it really helps. Spasm is another major concern to me as well.
    I would wholeheartedly recommend against getting the joystick controller if you get any kind of spasm. I am a C-5 quadriplegic and I get spasms and I would be dead right now if I used a joystick controller for steering. You think it's going to be as easy as driving a power chair but it is not. It is completely unforgiving. I have the Paravan system with the mini steering wheel and the pull-push controller to break and accelerate. I had the steering wheel set up so that 9 o'clock keeps my steering wheels straight. Whenever I get a spasm driving I just pull it towards my body/9 o'clock and nothing happens. Car keeps going straight.

At your level of injury one of the most important things will be trunk control. If you won't be driving alone I would highly recommend driving with a chest strap which someone can affix for you. If you will be driving alone then lateral supports on the chair will be helpful, which at your level of injury you will probably have anyway. I have the Invacare matrix elite deep back on my F3 Permobil and the deep scoop does help counter the instability encountered on turns.

And yes, when encountering spasm triggering conditions such as rough road, do slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by salamero View Post
    I would wholeheartedly recommend against getting the joystick controller if you get any kind of spasm. I am a C-5 quadriplegic and I get spasms and I would be dead right now if I used a joystick controller for steering. You think it's going to be as easy as driving a power chair but it is not. It is completely unforgiving. I have the Paravan system with the mini steering wheel and the pull-push controller to break and accelerate. I had the steering wheel set up so that 9 o'clock keeps my steering wheels straight. Whenever I get a spasm driving I just pull it towards my body/9 o'clock and nothing happens. Car keeps going straight.
    Anyone here stating otherwise? Anyone driving the four way joystick?

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Chair in drunken sailor mode?

Is there a delay on the controls that you do not need?

If so then that is a major defect. Drunken sailor mode should be shipped off by default unless OT recommends that it be set.

See https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pow...rogramming.htm

I Australia mods are limited to hand controls and a spinner if required. I palm the wheel which has silly radio buttons on it.

Those doing other mods need to take responsibility for the safety of the vehicle. Can get taxi vouchers and some public transport is accessible.
    Last edited by zagam; 06-20-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Driving cars?