Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad driving issues

Quad driving issues

Hi,

I'm a c4/c5 quadriplegic and I have just completed my driving evaluation using 4-way joystick hand controls. The most part went well but was having difficulty controlling the vehicle on bumpy and rough roads especially when it hits a pothole during a turn etc.. I have been recommended for driving but I'm concerned about loss-of-control on rough surfaces and now I need to decide about proceeding my drive training.

I'm interested in the learning experience of high-level injury quads who are drive using joysticks or similar setup. How do you control/manage vehicle on uneven surfaces? Did you experience similar issues in the beginning and are you able to improve over time?

Please help with your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kan

I don't drive, but one of my concerns is similar to yours...spasms while driving as a result of hitting bumps. Also, my elbow must be supported by the armrest...if it were to slip off, I'd likely lose control.

go on. it gets better...
    just drive slower if its bumpy...
    c4 comp. here, driving up to 300km

Quote Originally Posted by opa07 View Post
    go on. it gets better...
    What setup do you use?

paravan
    t5 with lift, drive from wheelchair, mini steering wheel right, throttle/brake left
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq9KLThclE
    pretty much like here

Quote Originally Posted by opa07 View Post
    go on. it gets better...
    I'm very interested in your set-up.

I tried a couple of four-way joystick striving, EMC J-series and Joysteer. Both were very sensitive requiring high precision control. Of both, I'm most impressed with Joysteer.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I don't drive, but one of my concerns is similar to yours...spasms while driving as a result of hitting bumps. Also, my elbow must be supported by the armrest...if it were to slip off, I'd likely lose control.
    Thanks. My first instruction was to always keep my hands rested on the arm-rest and it really helps. Spasm is another major concern to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kansrk View Post
    Hi,

I'm a c4/c5 quadriplegic and I have just completed my driving evaluation using 4-way joystick hand controls. The most part went well but was having difficulty controlling the vehicle on bumpy and rough roads especially when it hits a pothole during a turn etc.. I have been recommended for driving but I'm concerned about loss-of-control on rough surfaces and now I need to decide about proceeding my drive training.

I'm interested in the learning experience of high-level injury quads who are drive using joysticks or similar setup. How do you control/manage vehicle on uneven surfaces? Did you experience similar issues in the beginning and are you able to improve over time?

Please help with your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kan
    I'm a C4 incomplete quad and use the Scott System. I have a chest strap to keep me from falling forward and I hook my left arm around a post on my chair for stability. I feel that my driving is improving everyday.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by kansrk View Post
    I'm very interested in your set-up.

I tried a couple of four-way joystick striving, EMC J-series and Joysteer. Both were very sensitive requiring high precision control. Of both, I'm most impressed with Joysteer.

Thanks.
    i use the paravan space drive mit mini steering wheel and throttle/brake shifter.
    pretty much the setup like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XO60jQJAs

I trained on EMC for 15 hours, and Scott systems for two hours. I found Scott systems to be far superior.