Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaking around my sp stoma

Finally got the results. I have two bacteria that are resistant to oral antibiotics. I'm on IV Invanz for ten days. I've had four treatments already. Unfortunately I'm still leaking around my sp.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 05-02-2018 at 02:22 AM.

I had to have a central line put in for the IV antibiotics. Monday is my final dose of antibiotics. My urologist wants to remove the central line on Monday. He says he is not going to order another urinalysis and to set up an appointment for another date. I don't think he realizes that the infection might not be gone and I might need more antibiotics. If we take the central line out Monday and I need more antibiotics I would have to go get another central line put in. I told my case manager I did not want to go to him anymore. I honestly don't think he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I had to have a central line put in for the IV antibiotics. Monday is my final dose of antibiotics. My urologist wants to remove the central line on Monday. He says he is not going to order another urinalysis and to set up an appointment for another date. I don't think he realizes that the infection might not be gone and I might need more antibiotics. If we take the central line out Monday and I need more antibiotics I would have to go get another central line put in. I told my case manager I did not want to go to him anymore. I honestly don't think he knows what he's talking about.
    At this stage in the game, get to an infectious disease doctor. It is irresponsible of your urologist not to do a follow up of a urinalysis AND a culture & sensitivity after you have been on a course of iV antibiotics (or oral, for that matter) for urinary tract infection. Some urologists really don't like to be bothered with treating frequent, recurring and complex urinary tract infections. It is time consuming and mundane. Infectious disease doctors are really an under utilized specialty group and you could probably benefit greatly from the expertise of one of these doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    At this stage in the game, get to an infectious disease doctor. It is irresponsible of your urologist not to do a follow up of a urinalysis AND a culture & sensitivity after you have been on a course of iV antibiotics (or oral, for that matter) for urinary tract infection. Some urologists really don't like to be bothered with treating frequent, recurring and complex urinary tract infections. It is time consuming and mundane. Infectious disease doctors are really an under utilized specialty group and you could probably benefit greatly from the expertise of one of these doctors.
    Thank you! I will look for one on Monday.

I got the results back and they were negative. Central line was removed.

I now have an infectious disease dr. She couldn't believe how my urologist was handling my care. Still looking for a new urologist.

I now have an infectious disease dr. She couldn't believe how my urologist was handling my care. Still looking for a new urologist.
    You know, this is the thing that I have found in my 35 years post injury..most urologists just want to do surgery. They are not interested in babysitting, hand holding the day to day problems of urinary tract infections and ancillary problems. In my years post injury, I have had consulted with two neurourologists, but they have not wanted to manage infections, they have suggested to me that my primary care physician can do that. And as it turns out, he has.

If you are having recurrent and frequent urinary tract infections you best bet is your primary care physician working in concert with an infectious diseases physician. Hands down. My experience is that my urologists/neurourologist just don't have the time to care.

You know, this is the thing that I have found in my 35 years post injury..most urologists just want to do surgery. They are not interested in babysitting, hand holding the day to day problems of urinary tract infections and ancillary problems. In my years post injury, I have had consulted with two neurourologists, but they have not wanted to manage infections, they have suggested to me that my primary care physician can do that. And as it turns out, he has.

If you are having recurrent and frequent urinary tract infections you best bet is your primary care physician working in concert with an infectious diseases physician. Hands down. My experience is that my urologists/neurourologist just don't have the time to care.
    I think my urologist had a quota to meet everyday. If you got 5 minutes with him you were lucky. Unfortunately I am having frequent utis recently. My infectious disease dr said oral antibiotics won't work on the utis anymore. So from now on it's iv antibiotics.

I think my urologist had a quota to meet everyday. If you got 5 minutes with him you were lucky. Unfortunately I am having frequent utis recently. My infectious disease dr said oral antibiotics won't work on the utis anymore. So from now on it's iv antibiotics.
    I don't agree that "so from now on its iv antibiotics." But you have to do what you have to do, if you trust this physician.

As you probably know by now, I have had great luck with Microcyn products for over 8 years. And in that time, I have had just a very few urinary tract infections and have a very healthy looking stoma. I also use the Poiesis Duette catheter that may be a better choice than a single lumen foley catheter. That said, there are folks on our forum who have very good luck with gentamicin instillations. You can find those references if you search the Care Cure site.

Good luck.

I don't agree that "so from now on its iv antibiotics." But you have to do what you have to do, if you trust this physician.

As you probably know by now, I have had great luck with Microcyn products for over 8 years. And in that time, I have had just a very few urinary tract infections and have a very healthy looking stoma. I also use the Poiesis Duette catheter that may be a better choice than a single lumen foley catheter. That said, there are folks on our forum who have very good luck with gentamicin instillations. You can find those references if you search the Care Cure site.

Good luck.
    Yeah I have never heard of that before but I have never had frequent utis. I think the infectious disease dr will work out good.

I've been using the Duette catheter for a few years. I really like it.

Thanks for all of your help