Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest?

latest?

Many moons ago, in a pre-sci life (and to some degree, for a period after), I had a good handle on nutrition for general health, performance, "looks", and weight control. Obviously post-sci, things get a bit more complicated with all the changes in so many body systems. One day, I blinked and that handle I had became non-existent. I've been slowly trying to get myself back to being in control. Previously, I had good success with 5 meals/day of closely monitored ratio of 50/30/20 for carbs/protein/fat. Adding in lots of water and frequent cardio made things all the better. In trying to educate myself on new things that have been discovered since then as well as understanding how SCI affects that approach's effectiveness, I find myself drowning in a sea of information.

My inclination at the moment is to try to go back to what once worked well. Has anyone ever or do you now subscribe to the whole concept of monitoring the ratios? If so, what ratios do you use? Have you tried any other methods that are more recent and gone back? Did you stop doing that for some particular reason? I'm just having trouble deciding which direction to go and would love to hear some first hand accounts of anyone who has made a similar decision, successful, unsuccessful or middle of the road.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    Many moons ago, in a pre-sci life (and to some degree, for a period after), I had a good handle on nutrition for general health, performance, "looks", and weight control. Obviously post-sci, things get a bit more complicated with all the changes in so many body systems. One day, I blinked and that handle I had became non-existent. I've been slowly trying to get myself back to being in control. Previously, I had good success with 5 meals/day of closely monitored ratio of 50/30/20 for carbs/protein/fat. Adding in lots of water and frequent cardio made things all the better. In trying to educate myself on new things that have been discovered since then as well as understanding how SCI affects that approach's effectiveness, I find myself drowning in a sea of information.

My inclination at the moment is to try to go back to what once worked well. Has anyone ever or do you now subscribe to the whole concept of monitoring the ratios? If so, what ratios do you use? Have you tried any other methods that are more recent and gone back? Did you stop doing that for some particular reason? I'm just having trouble deciding which direction to go and would love to hear some first hand accounts of anyone who has made a similar decision, successful, unsuccessful or middle of the road.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Post injury 34 years, C6/7 complete. I didn't go with fad eating plans before my injury and haven't gone with fad eating plans since my injury. I eat everything I want to eat in moderation and try to enjoy life and food and drink within the parameters of moderation. Works for me. I am 6'3", 125-127 lbs. I know and quite understand that all of us are different, and our concepts of moderation are different as well. But, frankly I can't be bothered with living by the numbers and percentages. Maybe I am lucky...I have a high metabolism, but that is how I've been managing my diet for many years.

I don't drink lots of water...about 2 liters a day. As a quad, can't do much cardio, but I try to move as much as I can and do arm/chest/back/shoulder exercises, stretches, and isometrics.

Wish you well.

GJ

Thanks for the input and god bless you and your high metabolism =)

I'm hoping to hear that as these "fad diets" come and go, the basic cornerstones of nutrition still hold true... but I'm kind of, maybe, sort of seeing/reading different these days. Again , so confusing. Unfortunately, the only way I've ever been able to be in control (pre or post SCI) was by going with the numbers and percentages.

Sounds like like you've got it nailed... 34 years is a pretty good run to maintain that kind of consistency. Keep it up!!

intermittent fasting seems to work best for me. i wanted to come into this hc season lighter. im down 26 lbs since 1/1. i do mwf 24 hr fast with just water and coffee(dinner to dinner) then clean meal 600 cals(8oz protein, lots of veg and 5oz sweet potato).
    t/th 1100 cals
    s/sun eat drink whatever i want. this keeps my metabolism from slowing
    i exercise 5 days week. lots of cardio and weights then will get cycling on the road when weather breaks.
    no alcohol during the week either just water/coffee
    look at your bmr then subtract 3-400 cals due to sci, thats the deficit you will need to lose.
    the fasting keeps our insulin levels down

im 3 lbs from my goal, once there i will do m/f 24 fast and 1500 t/w/th then eat whatever i want s/sun
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Awesome info, Fuente - thanks! My gf has been dabbling in intermittent fasting but has not adhered to it strictly enough to get any results, but what I've read about it sounds interesting. I'm definitely not at the point discipline-wise (still working on cutting out crap food, huge portions and alcohol... for now) to start something like that yet... but that might be what I shoot for.

3 days of fasting aside, 1100 cal on Tuesday and Thursday (with weights and cardio throughout the week) isn't much. No issues with energy levels?

the fasting keeps our insulin levels down
    The intent of maintaining the carb/protein/fat ratio for each meal is also to prevent insulin spikes. Do you feel the fasting achieves this more effectively? on a greater scale?

And when you say you eat whatever you want on Saturday and Sunday, does that mean no cap on calories... almost like 2 cheat days? If so, how many calories would you estimate per weekend day?

I'm not asking all these questions to challenge or poke holes in your system - just gathering info and firsthand intel. Thanks again!

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Agree with comments made above.

Slow and steady changes in diet and exercise is the way to go.

Find out how your body responds to certain foods in relation to your digestive system including bowel program. Specifically vegetables and fruits, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, breads, grains and water. Everything in moderation.

Try to stay away from any quick fixes. The best way to establish new habits is to get your head straight and relax about it.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

by friday energy is down a bit but you adjust. fasting definately keeps insulin in check way better for me. IF isnt a diet but a way to restrict calories.

i go balls out sat/sun. WHATEVER i want. likely 4k + each day.
    At the end of the day only way to lose weight is stay in a caloric deficit, if you arent losing your not in a deficit.

couple great reads on IF
    https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...Dr.+Jason+Fung

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Stop-Inte...s=eat+stop+eat

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    Awesome info, Fuente - thanks! My gf has been dabbling in intermittent fasting but has not adhered to it strictly enough to get any results, but what I've read about it sounds interesting. I'm definitely not at the point discipline-wise (still working on cutting out crap food, huge portions and alcohol... for now) to start something like that yet... but that might be what I shoot for.

3 days of fasting aside, 1100 cal on Tuesday and Thursday (with weights and cardio throughout the week) isn't much. No issues with energy levels?

The intent of maintaining the carb/protein/fat ratio for each meal is also to prevent insulin spikes. Do you feel the fasting achieves this more effectively? on a greater scale?

And when you say you eat whatever you want on Saturday and Sunday, does that mean no cap on calories... almost like 2 cheat days? If so, how many calories would you estimate per weekend day?

I'm not asking all these questions to challenge or poke holes in your system - just gathering info and firsthand intel. Thanks again!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Congrats on your weight loss, fuentejps. I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting, too. My basic rule of thumb is to not eat anything that my body can't actually use to maintain good health. I eat and drink whatever I want one day a week, and fast whenever I feel the need (on black coffee and water with flavored stevia drops). I might have a lite beer in the evenings. So far, weight has held steady for about 15 years. I don't measure food group percentages or fat grams, etc. - just calories.

It takes some experimentation to find what works best, Daveh0, but you can't go far wrong eating small amounts at a time of foods that are known to support good health (vegetables, fruits, protein, healthful fats and carbs). And allow yourself to splurge without self-recriminations now and then (or on a weekly basis, with a firm time limit - i.e., a day or two).
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

awesome bonnette. it is a great tool. just takes a little focus. IF has been used forever.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Congrats on the weight loss! There's some interesting subreddits on REDDIT on IF. It does work .. many fast every day and allow 4 or 8 hours only to eat responsibly. Easy to do when not working.

The no carb thing screwed with my sugar levels and since diabetes runs in my family, I didn't want to screw with it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12