Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friend's Strange Postop Complication

glad he got to mayo to be properly diagnosed and treated!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    glad he properly diagnosed and treated!
    Thanks Smashms, same here. And he'll now have good followup, because the Mayo docs are coordinating with his local docs. I feel relieved about him.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

So happy to hear this better outcome for your friend. My brother went through something similar last year and he has permanent memory loss. Very frightening situation so I'm glad your friend did get some help.

Quote Originally Posted by oncetherwasagirl View Post
    So happy to hear this better outcome for your friend. My brother went through something similar last year and he has permanent memory loss. Very frightening situation so I'm glad your friend did get some help.
    Mayo was the turning point, for sure. I am so sorry that your brother had something like this happen to him.

Sorry to hear that Bonnette. I hope everything will get sorted with your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jade2 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Bonnette. I hope everything will get sorted with your friend!
    Thanks, Jade! Things are definitely looking up for him.

One of the best kept secrets in medicine is that, as we age, the potential that portions of the brain won't "wake up" after anesthesia increases dramatically. You'll find few surgeons who will go with a general anesthesia for themselves if there's any way to do it with a local.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    One of the best kept secrets in medicine is that, as we age, the potential that portions of the brain won't "wake up" after anesthesia increases dramatically. You'll find few surgeons who will go with a general anesthesia for themselves if there's any way to do it with a local.
    That is such a good point. Surgery is so commonplace that it's easy to forget the stark truth that there's really no such thing as minor surgery, where general anesthesia is concerned.