Thread: Are the blue incontinence pads tax deductible?

Are the blue incontinence pads tax deductible?

As a medical deduction, Are the blue incontinence pads tax deductible? Thank youAnd also, our protein shakes tax deductible. Although I have no prescription my doctor has instructed me to increase my protein intake. Therefore I have been buying protein shakes.
    Last edited by smokey; 04-02-2018 at 08:37 AM.

I would ask your care professional for a simple note stating that you require xxxx and yyy and zzzz due to your medical needs. I would also check with the IRS.

I deduct both of those on my father's taxes as medical expenses. They are purchased because of medical conditions, recommended by his doctor.

Years ago I used to go to the trouble to get actually "prescriptions" for them and file them with the taxes. But I don't bother anymore. The doctors actually got a little annoyed to be asked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    I deduct both of those on my father's taxes as medical expenses. They are purchased because of medical conditions, recommended by his doctor.

Years ago I used to go to the trouble to get actually "prescriptions" for them and file them with the taxes. But I don't bother anymore. The doctors actually got a little annoyed to be asked for them.
    i bet they wouldn’t really care if you brought in an already typed up form saying you require such and forth and this and that for X diagnosis and it just needed a signature.

doctors are busy folks, if you’re nice about it and make it consume very little of their time I’m zure they’d understand. And if not, I sure wouldn’t mind pissing someone off to save a few hundred bucks.

Keep in mind too that the rule on deduction of medical expenses is as follows:
    The IRS allows you to deduct qualified medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for 2017 and 2018. Beginning Jan. 1, 2019, all taxpayers may deduct only the amount of the total unreimbursed allowable medical care expenses for the year that exceeds 10% of their adjusted gross income.
    You cannot deduct supplies or equipment that were paid for by your insurance, only out-of-pocket costs such as co-pays, non-covered supplies or equipment, etc.

Here is a link to the IRS publication that describes what can be deducted with the guidelines above:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.