Thread: Anyone take Linzess?

Anyone take Linzess?

Ever since my bowels stopped moving on their own since last summer, I have required suppositories and senna and miralax to get my stool to move through the colon. I went to a gastroenterologist about a week ago and he put me on Linzess. It seems to be working a little but I just read that its best to take it in the morning on an empty stomach (with a lot of water) so I'm going to try that tomorrow.

Anyone else take Linzess? How did/is it working for you?

I have been on Linzess for about a year now and no longer use laxatives to have a bowel movement. I take the 290mg capsule on the morning of my bowel program which is every other day or on the weekend I go two days between my program. I take my pill at least one hour before I eat breakfast which works out for me since they suggest taking it one half hour before eating. I still use a magic bullet just to make sure things start moving. The one thing that I have noticed is that my stool becomes very loose which is fine with me since I have been doing bowel programs for 35 years and my intestinal track has slowed down a lot. The pill has helped me greatly because I was very unaware of how much stool I was accumulating in my bowels even though I thought that I was doing good when I did my programs and getting myself emptied out. I do not take the pill everyday because it tends to keep things moving to well and I don't want to be manually stimulating every day because of having hemroids.

I tried it once a few years ago but it caused incontinence.

My recommendation is to try to adjust your diet with fiber(prebiotics), probiotics, water and diet. Find out if dairy, fiber rich foods, caffeine, alcohol, cause problems - a good dietician could problem solve with you.

If after all of this then try the meds for IBS. They really work for people with the constipation/diarrhea issue of IBS.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.