Thread: Blood tinged urine

Blood tinged urine

Hey everyone,
    I have awakened to 2 separate mornings this week with blood tinged urine in my night drain bed bag. It goes away after the morning bag drain. All good throughout my day. I have a suprapubic have a suprapubic catheter, and have been doing fairly well with it the last few recent months. I did have some bladder stones removed back in November of 2017 while doing a cystoscope. Anyways, I?ve never had blood tinged urine except a few hours after my suprapubic insertion surgery. I?ve only experienced the seldom blood clot.

I have been taking tetracycline (for mrsa) this week for a wound infection on a rib area. Other than that, no new medications. I regularly take, oxybutenin, ultrim, supplements (curcumin, dmannose, cranberry pills, vitamins c, d, e), sometimes 1/3 of a 5:1 ratio cannibis gummy.

I've talked to urology, and they want a ua & culture and go from there.

I?m changing my catheter and sending off an urine specimen today. I?m also stopping my curcumin, in case it and the tetracycline are causing issues.

This is just new for me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Melinda

How are you securing your SP catheter? Pistoning of the catheter in/out of the stoma, or undue tension on the catheter can cause bleeding in the walls of the bladder.

How much blood? Is your urine just pink tinged (white Zinfandel) or are there clots and dark red that you cannot see through (Merlot)?

Do you have any other symptoms of a UTI? Fever? Chills? Flank pain? Severe malaise? Bleeding can occur with a hemorrhagic cystitis, but without these symptoms I would not be treating any positive culture, even with the bleeding if not severe.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kmelinda View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I have awakened to 2 separate mornings this week with blood tinged urine in my night drain bed bag. It goes away after the morning bag drain. All good throughout my day. I have a suprapubic have a suprapubic catheter, and have been doing fairly well with it the last few recent months. I did have some bladder stones removed back in November of 2017 while doing a cystoscope. Anyways, I?ve never had blood tinged urine except a few hours after my suprapubic insertion surgery. I?ve only experienced the seldom blood clot.

I have been taking tetracycline (for mrsa) this week for a wound infection on a rib area. Other than that, no new medications. I regularly take, oxybutenin, ultrim, supplements (curcumin, dmannose, cranberry pills, vitamins c, d, e), sometimes 1/3 of a 5:1 ratio cannibis gummy.

I've talked to urology, and they want a ua & culture and go from there.

I?m changing my catheter and sending off an urine specimen today. I?m also stopping my curcumin, in case it and the tetracycline are causing issues.

This is just new for me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Melinda
    Blood tinged...does that mean a pinkish hue or dark red like red wine.

It's probably a good idea to get the urine tested. There is usually some trauma to the stoma when the old catheter is removed and the new one placed. It is very likely that blood will be found in the urine because you changed the catheter, and it will be hard to determine if the blood is from the change or some other cause. There is usually some trauma to the stoma when the old catheter is removed and the new one placed. It probably isn't necessary to change a supra pubic catheter to submit a specimen. If there is no infection, the urine will show colonization no matter if the catheter is new or old. If there is an infection, it is unlikely that the old catheter would contribute enough bacteria to influence the results. So, when the lab comes back with a report that there is blood in the urine, remind your doctor that you did change the catheter before taking the specimen. To collect a specimen, clamp off the catheter for a few minutes to allow urine to accumulate in the bladder, unclamp and drain the urine into a specimen cup, making sure you are not touching any parts of the cup with the catheter.

It is possible that during the night while you slept, you accidentally put some strain on the catheter causing some trauma to the stoma. Possibly when you are sitting upright the balloon on the catheter is not causing irritation, but when you are lying down, the balloon get positioned where there is some trauma to the bladder side of the stoma and you experience some bleeding that would cause some blood to mix with urine. Keep an eye on it while the urine is being tested and report what is happening to the urine color to your doctor.

Have you heard of the Poiesis Duette catheter. It is designed to be used with a supra pubic catheter. http://www.poiesismedical.com

Poiesis will send you free catheter samples. The catheters come in sizes 14Fr, 16Fr, and 18Fr. A number of people on Care Cure who have been using size 20Fr catheters have been able to size down to the 18Fr and the stoma quickly heals up to accommodate the catheter without leaking. You can request samples: Toll Free: 877-487-5740, Phone: 561-842-7560, Fax: 561-842-7561, Email: sales@poiesismedical.com Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from them quickly. They are usually pretty good about responding, but not always within the week.

PS: KLD, I was typing my response as you posted. I didn't intend to be repetitive of you post.

Sorry...I?ve been recouperating from a separate issue (an advancing wound) and couldn?t type a reply to your posts.

First, thank you both for the information. KLD, you helped my anxiety lots. Actually, we?d accidentally yanked my catheter when removing my jeans at bedtime the night before the blood showed up in my urine. By the way, it was a pink Zinfandel like tint. I wear a leg band to secure my catheter, but it had just loosened some and got yanked. As we all know, accidents can happen sometimes. So, that had to of been the cause. We also checked my urine and nothing even grew from the culture.

Also, I agree the Duette catheter is awesome gjnl. I used them for over a year while experiencing problems with my suprapubic stoma. A nurse friend suggested I try the soft Dover catheter as a Hail Mary... and oddly, no more chronic stoma pain, no more bloody discharge, and no more symptomatic stoma infections. I also developed my first ever bladder stones while wearing them and read were some others did too. So, sadly the Duette is not for me.

Thanks for both of y?alls help,
    Melinda