Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when your van lift breaks down?

same van and lift as mine. yep, manual backup.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Have you considered a minivan? I drive a Dodge caravan with automatic rear ramp with remote. The rear door and ramp can be operated manually if you experience an electrical failure.

My van once broke down. I had a Ricon lift then, and it had a manual backup. The manual crank had to be turned by someone else. The AAA tow truck driver got me out using the manual crank. The bigger problem was getting me into the tow truck. Fortunately, the driver was a big strong guy and managed to lift me up to the very high seat. It was getting dark and he did not want to leave there waiting for a cab. In my 40+ years of driving that was the only time I needed to be rescued on the road..
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tprewitt View Post
    Have you considered a minivan? I drive a Dodge caravan with automatic rear ramp with remote. The rear door and ramp can be operated manually if you experience an electrical failure.
    Yes. I am considering mini vans. But the ones I have seen with rear entrance have a well that limits your access to about 1/2 way in. Those are for passengers. I haven't seen a rear entry mini van where you can access the driver spot. Ive seen them in full size vans with lifts. But never in a mini van with a ramp. Pictures? Links? Models?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    same van and lift as mine. yep, manual backup.
    Does the manual backup require a second person or can you operate it manually on your own?

Most vans have two doors that open in back, I have a portable ramp which I keep in my van, to get into homes that do not have access. They would work going in and out if the other door. So no need to worry about what chair you are in. They handle 300 lb per ramp, so up to 600. They probably have heavier ones. Cost me 150ish on Amazon. In the event of a break down you would be able to get into any cargo van.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Does the manual backup require a second person or can you operate it manually on your own?
    It would depend on your ability. My VMI converted Odyssey has a crank driven back up. Other conversions may have a similar device. If you can perform the instructions below by yourself, it only takes one person. It doesn't take a whole lot of strength to turn the crank. NL has done it. She is a small person. Probably most difficult is getting the cover plate off. She uses a screw driver instead of the manner discussed in these instructions. The cover plate is located in the floor of the van, in front of the rear bench seat on the driver's side of the van.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-30-2018 at 02:37 PM.

I see that's how you get the ramp down. How do you get it back up? I guess I should go to a dealer and check this out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I see that's how you get the ramp down. How do you get it back up? I guess I should go to a dealer and check this out myself.
    In the system above, counter clock-wise cranks deploy the ramp out of the van. Clock-wise cranks retract the ramp back into the van. This is a ramp in floor system.

Then it's not a 1-person system.