Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when your van lift breaks down?

What do you do when your van lift breaks down?

I don't imagine AAA would cover something like this? Could be a nightmare not being able to get in/out in the middle of nowhere.

What kind of lift do you have? My mother's van was a mini-van (Dodge Caravan) with a power ramp, but it could be deployed manually as well if there was a failure. Same with her E-Z lock.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have a Monte Carlo and a BMW. The Monte Carlo is easy to get the wheelchair in/out but hard for me to get in/out. The BMW is easy for me to get in/out but hard to get the wheelchair in/out. Transfer board is an option. But I'm not getting any younger so I am considering a van. Any experience/advise on the lifts is appreciated.

Good to know it can be manually deployed. I am considering this ride. It's the old fashioned lift. Reliable?

Most standard van lifts also have a manual emergency option, but whether you could use it independently would vary. Most have a handle that you have to put into a slot on the motor and pump the lift up/down. I have seen these on tourist buses too, and we had deploy one for my mother one time when the bus lift motor failed (in Hawaii).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

You say whether you could use it manually and independently would vary. I take that to mean that you know of some that can be operated manually and independently?

Here is an example of instructions for a Braun lift. Not sure what brand the lift is for the van you are looking at:

http://www.blvd.com/vehicle-wheelcha...heelchair-lift

(KLD)

I've had two occasions when my van went kaput and needed to be towed. Both times my friend who had a towing business picked my van, with me in it. But, I think most towing companies wouldn't do it because of liability reasons. Regardless, it's a major PIA if a breakdown does occur, especially if you're using a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I have a Monte Carlo and a BMW. The Monte Carlo is easy to get the wheelchair in/out but hard for me to get in/out. The BMW is easy for me to get in/out but hard to get the wheelchair in/out. Transfer board is an option. But I'm not getting any younger so I am considering a van. Any experience/advise on the lifts is appreciated.

Good to know it can be manually deployed. I am considering this ride. It's the old fashioned lift. Reliable?
    That's a nice van, and the lift looks like a Braun, and those have a manual backup in the event there's a electrical failure. Braun lifts are pretty reliable lifts, too.

That's good to know. Thanks!

I guess AAA would show up to manually deploy the ramp in case of electrical failure.