Thread: Schedule

Schedule

This question is primarily for those that are dependent upon attendants to get in/out of bed...what time do you usually get in bed at night, and up in the morning?

I think a lot of this depends on what you do with your day. For those that work, it is going to be different than for those who do not.

When my mother was alive, she was retired before she needed attendant care, and she woke up at 0800, and was usually done with her morning routine and ready to eat breakfast in the family room by 0900. She went to bed at 1100. She had a live in attendant who did both 5 days a week, and did the bedtime times on the weekends as well, but had a part-time morning attendant for the weekends.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm up at 6 am for work, and a lot of times I feel ready for bed as soon as 6 pm (I don't sleep then).

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I'm up at 6 am for work, and a lot of times I feel ready for bed as soon as 6 pm (I don't sleep then).
    My comment isn't going to address your original question, but rather your last comment. NL has said that she thinks someone sitting in a wheelchair all day is somewhat comparable to someone who stands up all day for work. When their work day is done, they look forward to sitting down and getting off their feet. When we have been in our wheelchairs all day, especially those of us with higher injuries, we look forward to getting off of bottoms, which mean lying down in bed. We're probably not sleepy, just need a change in position. So it isn't surprising that you feel read for bed at 6 PM.

I agree, my mother was transferred to a power recliner chair (using ceiling track lift) prior to dinner at 6PM by my dad, or later an afternoon/evening attendant, and remained there until her attendant putting her back in her chair at 10:45PM and then to bed (after teeth brushing, etc.).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My usual day is woken at 7 routine started with 30 minutes ROM then washed etc up by 9am. Bowel days and shower in morning days up any time from 9:30 till 10:30. Back to bed any time from 7pm until 9pm. Evening split PA finishes at 10pm. I've struggled to find PA's who will work past 10 and come back on shift at 7 next morning.

My biggest and most expensive problem is that ever since a complete breakdown in my hand/wrist/thumb, elbow, and shoulder I am no longer able to pull myself over in bed, much less transfer out of bed if there is an emergency in the house at night. Therefore, I now have overnight help with turning and cathing assistance.

However, there is no way a person will be able to work days and then overnight, as they cannot get more than a few hours sleep at a time. Therefore, I need to have a person during the day and a person overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    My biggest and most expensive problem is that ever since a complete breakdown in my hand/wrist/thumb, elbow, and shoulder I am no longer able to pull myself over in bed, much less transfer out of bed if there is an emergency in the house at night. Therefore, I now have overnight help with turning and cathing assistance.

However, there is no way a person will be able to work days and then overnight, as they cannot get more than a few hours sleep at a time. Therefore, I need to have a person during the day and a person overnight.
    Your dilemma is one that will hit many of us as we age. An option is, of course, some kind of group home situation. But, it is probably the least appealing option of all. I know it would be the least appealing for me.

Years ago, I had a friend, since deceased (bless him) who remodeled his home to accommodate 3 people in an apartment on the second story of his home. He lived near University of California Los Angeles and hired three male students to work out shifts to meet his needs and their class, study, and social schedules. He trained the men in his care needs. This worked out extremely well for him and his wife, and was essential when his wife was killed in a car accident one morning on Pacific Coast Highway. Planning for life's contingencies is a daunting task.