Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How has Google Mini/Alexa improved your life?

My Dad has a couple Amazon Dots attached to nice speakers. The voice control is wonderful for him.

He uses them to turn his bedroom lights off at night, and on in the morning. He listens to the radio for most of the day, and listens through his Dot. He alternates between favorite radio stations that are scattered around the US. He listens to some of his favorite podcasts (This American Life), or music of his choice. We made "playlists" of favorite songs that he can play to help fall asleep. He checks the weather regularly, asks random questions, or asks it to tell him a joke. Even the "Jeopardy" game is fun every once in awhile. And he can use it to make phone calls to me by voice, if he cannot reach the phone. He uses it to set alarms for waking up, or random alarms throughout the day.

Pretty amazing.

I have an echo in my bedroom, and 2 dots throughout my apartment. I have the harmony hub, which allows me to control my tv through the echos. I have several Wemo plugs to turn lights on/off, and I used to have the ecobee thermostat, but I found the ecobee did not work smoothly with my apartment's heat pump (or it was not installed correctly by maintenance). I use the echo to also listen to music, podcasts, and audible.

Wow thank you so much for your input everybody. I am amazed by how many are using these now. And the price is SO much better than the old units pre-wifi.
    May the fetus you save be gay

Just pmed you
    May the fetus you save be gay

If you're older than 50 say Alexa play Radio Paradise.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

I second that! I'm a long time listener of Radio Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    If you're older than 50 say Alexa play Radio Paradise.
    good recommendation, enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    I have both the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. Alexa allows me to talk to my home. It reads my audible books. I can schedule events to remind me when my appointments are and with whom. I also set alarms, timers, listen to podcasts, radio, news, etc. Using the Echo, I do not need four remotes or even one remote to turn on the TV, the Roku, the AVR, the DVD. I can do it all with a single voice command. Sometimes I use it to make phone calls. I set up my Alexa with an iPhone. If you have an Android phone, you can send text messages.
    Is there a way for the Echo to control a Comcast cable box?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

In another thread on this topic one of our members says that it will work with Comcast but you need the Harmony Hub. My experience is with Cox Cable which does work the Harmony Hub coupled with the Alexa.
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    It will work with Comcast if you use the Harmony hub.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Is there a way for the Echo to control a Comcast cable box?

If your with Comcast you should have an x1 box they came out with them years ago...It has voice control..