Thread: Businesses that are handicpped friendly or not.

Businesses that are handicpped friendly or not.

I have found many businesses that have restrooms that have handicapped signage but you cannot even get a wheelchair in! How about you?

I'd always assumed that the business I work for had wheelchair-friendly buildings until I actually had to use a wheelchair. When I went through the building with the facilities team they were shocked/embarrassed with some of the issues I encountered. For example, the security gate failed to recognize me when exiting the building - even if I used my security passcard. So I could get into the building but could not get out. For restrooms, I found that they'd sometimes install a threshold in the door so the combination of door weight plus threshold made it impossible to enter on my own. The team started by reducing the resistance on the door and they eventually started to install push-button door openers. Unfortunately people will post the signage without thinking what it's like to use the facility in a wheelchair. As with many things we encounter it comes down to helping educate.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFinn View Post
    I have found many businesses that have restrooms that have handicapped signage but you cannot even get a wheelchair in! How about you?
    The battle continues, even though the ADA went into effect in 1991, even in California where we had similar legislation to the ADA as part of the building code for a number of years before the ADA. Have you filed formal complaints with such businesses? Filed DOJ complaints if the business is not responsive? Only if people do this when encountering violations of the ADA will these barriers be removed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.