Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting old

getting old

I heard my mom talk about hurting aches and pains and I thought..... now I am 67 I hurt my arms hurt I went to move last night and and fire shot down my arm I move a certain way my arms and dam it hurt

so far I am really watching getting off butt scared to death what happens when I can/t raise up

you quad para that are ageing chime in

You might want to consider a visit to your doctor to discuss this and also Physical Therapy to evaluate your techniques for daily activities, transfers, etc. You might need to look at new techniques for movement, possible light strengthening of arm muscles.

I'm older than you and recently completed several weeks of PT, 4 days a week. I found I must do light exercise program daily to avoid pain. I was told to stop a movement when/if pain occurred - so DON'T follow the old saying "no pain, no gain".

Don't know if you have considered a power bed so that you can do "gravity transfers", and also help you get from laying down into sitting position by raising head of bed. I would be lost without mine....got it when I was 67!

I'm coming up on 62, and 46 years post. My shoulders and deltoids are really bothering me. 45+ years nad never had a pressure sore but I'm fighting something going on with my butt now. It's not a pressure sore. I can't determine what it is and waiting to hear back from Dr. Yes, all of my transfers rquire a lot more energy to move these old muscles.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

thanks guys I should do that I know I have arthritis that's why I am in a chair.

getting old

.....is not for sissies.

.....is not for the faint of heart.

Only 45 but start 34yrs of chairdom this summer.

Already had a trigger finger and neuroma removed from my left .. but I feel my thumb going now (repetitive movement of wheeling for 30yrs).
    My hips during weather fluctuations hurt like pain I've not felt in a very long time. Drove me to tears a week ago or so. I toss and turn on an air mattress to stretch them but OTC pain meds every day.
    Losing strength being stuck in bed all the time from wounds that don't heal.

Yeah getting old sucks.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If I can find it, there is a video on youtube of a quad showing shoulder exercises that has made a difference for me. You use lightweight exercise bands.

I use bands for exercise and would be interested if you can find that video. The ones I have found show exercises by non-disabled persons.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I use bands for exercise and would be interested if you can find that video. The ones I have found show exercises by non-disabled persons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLNuKzzICnc&t=26s He has more exercise videos on his page.

Hi All
    61 yrs and 33 yrs post T-8 para Here is a shocker My SCI doc said some one of my age should only do 2 to 4 transfers a day. Although I was surprised it made a lot of sense began quest for Power chair and lift vehicle the next day. Gotta work smarter instead of harder!