Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Wheelchair (ZRA)

Some thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by sflo0 View Post
    Hello,

Yesterday I went in to do my measurements for my first wheelchair. Order form is filled out.. just wanted to check in here and see if there are is anything majorly wrong with it. I have studied the order form quite a bit, and knew pretty much what I wanted and the sizes for everything before going in.. and I had pretty much the same measurements that they did already. For reference I am 5'10" 130ish lbs

Here it is:

Tilite ZRA
    Satin finish
    Matte paint (Black Lava)
    Colour anodize - Black
    Rear seat width - 15"
    Seat taper - no taper
    Seat depth - 16"
    Front seat height - 18"
    Rear seat height - 16"
    Front angle - 85deg
    Seat to footrest - 16"
    Angle adjustable foortest
    V-front end
    Footrest width - 9.5"
    Seat back - Folding aluminum adjustable height
    Back release bar - aluminum
    No push handles
    Seat back height - short (8.5" - 11.5")
    Seat back that locks when folded
    4" deep backrest rigidizer bar
    Seat back angle - 92deg
    Center of Gravity - 3"
    Camber - 2deg
    Aluminum camber tube
    Rear wheel spacing - 1"
    Adjustable rear wheel spacing camber plugs
    Additional spacers to increase rear wheel spacing
    Front wheels - LiteSpeed billet aluminum wheel w/ soft roll tire black hub
    Forks - Tilite slipstream single sided fork
    Rear wheels - Spinergy LX Black 24"
    Axles - Stainless quick release
    Rear tires - 24" Schwalbe marathon plus evolution
    Handrims - The Surge
    Handrim tab length - Short
    Wheel locks - Composite scissor lock
    Back upholstry - Tension adjustable by straps - Padded nylon
    Seat upholstry - Tension adjustable by straps
    Side guards - Carbon fiber rigid removable small
    Calf strap - Bodypoint padded velcro adjustable small

Keep in mind I am an active user. Will be hauling this in and out of my vehicle multiple times a day. Want to make sure I'm getting everything right. Any comments are appreciated. Will be using a supracor stimulite cushion with this. I have to wait till April till I can get the CAD drawing for it because that is when I will have insurance.. so if there is anything I should change now is the time
    I am going to throw in some ideas and suggestions.

Get rid of composite wheel locks and go with the aluminum wheel locks. The warranty is only 1 year and both of mine broke within 2 years. One was covered under warranty the second was not. What broke is the little spring. Once it breaks the wheel lock rides on your tire. You need a rubber band to hold it back.

Tire tubes get Schwalbe Shrader threaded valves tubes. (See attached photograph)

I had calf strap buckles put on my front 'chair to give it a cleaner look. See attached photographs. I like them so much my next 'chair will have 1" buckles to hold the under seat pouch on them angled at 45 degrees inwards.

I had the plastic cane caps and rear frame plastic cap removed and titanium circles welded on the frame so you never have to worry about loosing a cap. I did. It looks much nicer and one thing less to loose. (See attached photograph)

To have a bold look I went with 1.25" cane poles. I give credit to another Carecure member for this idea.

Which leads to why not a solid back rest? If you do go with a solid back you'd have to get 1.25" brackets if you are going with 1.25" canes. Keep that in mind.

Why not go with a rigid back? Your height is only 8.5" - 11.5". Going to a rigid back is like going from a folding 'chair to a rigid frame 'chair. You won't go back. Mine are 14" and I am able to get the 'chair in a Toyota Corolla.

Have the DME hand tighten all the bolts and not use a power screw gun. If you strip a hex head receded bolt it's a pain to remove. My DME put my back rest on crooked and stripped one of the hex head bolts and refused to come out and replace it. Once my wheel lock broke and they had to replace it under warranty. That's when I had them remove the stripped hex bolt on the back rest.

For the CAD drawing I'd make sure everything is written on it. If not, have TiLite add it on so there is no going wrong or who's at fault if something is wrong. I'd post it to this thread and let people compare the requirement list to the CAD drawing and comment.

Don't come up with something too difficult because the titanium experts won't do it for you, Designs Limited. They would not make me an oval rigidizer bar as seen on other made TiLite 'chairs. That's for another thread.

Something I did on my own was changed out all the steel bolts and with stainless steel ones. They are much harder and not likely to strip.

Otherwise you'll be getting a nice ride! Enjoy!

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Why not go with a rigid back? Your height is only 8.5" - 11.5". Going to a rigid back is like going from a folding 'chair to a rigid frame 'chair. You won't go back. Mine are 14" and I am able to get the 'chair in a Toyota Corolla.
    I did this and I am glad I did. But to answer your question, the reason you may not want to is weight. It's harder on the shoulders to put into the car. I tried one with removable hardware thinking that taking the back off when transferring the chair into the car would make it lighter. But it added a lot of hassle to the process of car transfers and the additional weight of the removable hardware weighs almost as much as the back. I now use fixed hardware and deal with the additional weight.

I am going to throw in some ideas and suggestions.

Get rid of composite wheel locks and go with the aluminum wheel locks. The warranty is only 1 year and both of mine broke within 2 years. One was covered under warranty the second was not. What broke is the little spring. Once it breaks the wheel lock rides on your tire. You need a rubber band to hold it back.

Tire tubes get Schwalbe Shrader threaded valves tubes. (See attached photograph)

I had calf strap buckles put on my front 'chair to give it a cleaner look. See attached photographs. I like them so much my next 'chair will have 1" buckles to hold the under seat pouch on them angled at 45 degrees inwards.

I had the plastic cane caps and rear frame plastic cap removed and titanium circles welded on the frame so you never have to worry about loosing a cap. I did. It looks much nicer and one thing less to loose. (See attached photograph)

To have a bold look I went with 1.25" cane poles. I give credit to another Carecure member for this idea.

Which leads to why not a solid back rest? If you do go with a solid back you'd have to get 1.25" brackets if you are going with 1.25" canes. Keep that in mind.

Have the DME hand tighten all the bolts and not use a power screw gun. If you strip a hex head receded bolt it's a pain to remove. My DME put my back rest on crooked and stripped one of the hex head bolts and refused to come out and replace it. Once my wheel lock broke and they had to replace it under warranty. That's when I had them remove the stripped hex bolt on the back rest.

For the CAD drawing I'd make sure everything is written on it. If not, have TiLite add it on so there is no going wrong or who's at fault if something is wrong. I'd post it to this thread and let people compare the requirement list to the CAD drawing and comment.

Don't come up with something too difficult because the titanium experts won't do it for you, Designs Limited. They would not make me an oval rigidizer bar as seen on other made TiLite 'chairs. That's for another thread.

Something I did on my own was changed out all the steel bolts and with stainless steel ones. They are much harder and not likely to strip.

Otherwise you'll be getting a nice ride! Enjoy!

Ti
    Which solid backrest do you recommend? The chair I am currently using does have a solid back... but it is a Ride Java, about 15" tall, very deep contour and has tons of mounting hardware for quick-release crap. Not a fan at all. I am able to get it into my car without much hassle still though... so I'm not completely against the solid backs. I did want something lighter... but with the fixed hardware the difference may be negligible. The one my vendor is recommending is Invacare Matrx MX2 (link below, page 12). Probably the 9" height (they are 3" deep).

I do want a folding backrest over a rigid right now. I want to be able to adjust the angle right now. It's going to be my first chair... so I'm not 100% sure what is going to be most comfortable. My next chair will very likely be a rigid back.

The fatter poles on your chair do look nice, not too concerned about it myself personally, but it's a cool idea if you're into that! Not sure what you mean for aluminum wheel locks... don't see any option for that. Calf strap idea is very cool too. Only downside I can see is if you swap out to a different calf strap that may have wider buckles you may run into a problem. And the welding instead of caps is very nice. How are the tubes you posted different than the ones they send? There is no option for tubes on the form.

http://www.invacare.ca/doc_files/201...es_17-355C.pdf
    Last edited by sflo0; 03-22-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added link
    complete t6. injured skiing nov 2017.

As a fellow Canadian chair user, side guards are a good thing to have when dealing with slush, salt, sand and snow. As for the anti tippers, arm rests, etc. I completely agree with Crappler, if you aren't going to use them take them off your order sheet. It will save some money, be less maintenance and save a few grams of weight on your chair.

Which solid backrest do you recommend? The chair I am currently using does have a solid back... but it is a Ride Java, about 15" tall, very deep contour and has tons of mounting hardware for quick-release crap. Not a fan at all. I am able to get it into my car without much hassle still though... so I'm not completely against the solid backs. I did want something lighter... but with the fixed hardware the difference may be negligible. The one my vendor is recommending is Invacare Matrx MX2 (link below, page 12). Probably the 9" height (they are 3" deep).

I do want a folding backrest over a rigid right now. I want to be able to adjust the angle right now. It's going to be my first chair... so I'm not 100% sure what is going to be most comfortable. My next chair will very likely be a rigid back.

The fatter poles on your chair do look nice, not too concerned about it myself personally, but it's a cool idea if you're into that! Not sure what you mean for aluminum wheel locks... don't see any option for that. Calf strap idea is very cool too. Only downside I can see is if you swap out to a different calf strap that may have wider buckles you may run into a problem. And the welding instead of caps is very nice. How are the tubes you posted different than the ones they send? There is no option for tubes on the form.

The DME dealer should be able to get aluminum wheel locks. Or you can buy them yourself at https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p...e-of-2-p121077 for $17.76 a pair.

Ti

The DME dealer should be able to get aluminum wheel locks. Or you can buy them yourself at https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p...e-of-2-p121077 for $17.76 a pair.

Ti
    Do you have them on your chair? Mind posting a photo? I don't really understand how they work or mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    If you include those features in your order, you'll receive them. along with the hardware and mounting brackets and holes. If you don't intend to use them, I'd recommend entering none on the order form.
    Just my opinion.
    And yes, arm rests and anti-tippers are completely off my order form. But FYI all the hardware for mounting both the tippers and armrests is completely removable, and they do not drill the tubes to add any of it.
    complete t6. injured skiing nov 2017.

Only thing I would change if it was me. The front seat height a little higher and rear seat height. I find if I keep my front seat height at 20 it's easier for transfer to and from bed and toilet.

I have a zra and the only real issue I've had is the composite brakes breaking and the cheapest I've found them is $65 a piece from sportaid.com, either the plastic breaks or the spring snaps.

I am not an expert on back rests but ask your DME to try different styles.

Through my insurance Aetna I have to be fitted at a wheelchair clinic at Cleveland Metro Health Hospital in their rehab department. I am there with the DME and a physical therapist. Here is where they have all sorts of cushions, backs, 'chairs and other 'chair items to look at.

My 1.25" canes was an added on option that was written on the form as with the buckles. Standard canes look like 1" tubing.

When ordering a new 'chair bring to the DME your spec sheet and cut sheets of any other ideas or items you want. When you leave you make sure you get a copy of the DME's order form and save it with your form, cut sheets, ideas or drawn up designs so if there are any problem you have a paper trail to look back on.

Don't be afraid to call TiLite directly and talk with a customer service representative or someone in engineering if you have a design idea that is not listed in Designs (Un)limited. I was on the telephone many times talking with them about about current ZR.

Do you have them on your chair? Mind posting a photo? I don't really understand how they work or mount.
    See attached photograph. These are the same on my ZR. This photograph is of the wheel lock off my shower chair but they are the same ones same setup.

Ti

Have you tried a chair with 25" or 26" rear wheels? If you have long arms I suppose the 24" wheels are fine. I have found 25" wheels to be the happy medium that works best for me. Mind you if you change wheel sizes, you probably would have to change several other measurements.