Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amy rear wheel or hybrid -how is it holding up?

I'm being told that Amysystems can only get as low as 18.5 my current Storm is 18.25 What do I do? Will I be able to handle that Quarter inch?
    Last edited by Norm; 06-26-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

My vendor says.

"The other part of switching to 12.5” drive wheels is that it reduces your ground clearance by .75” and reduces your tire tread contact due to a narrower tire. The result is a 17.75” seat to floor height. This is the only way to get lower than 18.5” seat to floor height with the power seating functions that you have chosen but I am hesitant to recommend it to you."
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

I filmed the Amy demo center leg rest with LED lights on.

LED Light System for Amysystems Alltrack R3 Hybrid Powerchair

I have the smaller wheels. They are mostly fine. But, they lose all traction when the tile floor is wet, or other slippery circumstances. It is an OK tradeoff for me, as the lower height is far more important to me. When you lose traction, you just power(spin) through the wet spot until you reach some traction. I haven't had any problems with outdoors on paved terrain. I have had traction problems on a wet bumpy lawn. But, I have never gotten stuck. I have never had ground clearance problems (other than my footrests, which I have to finish the story on later).

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    My vendor says.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I filmed the Amy demo center leg rest with LED lights on.

LED Light System for Amysystems Alltrack R3 Hybrid Powerchair

How is that system worth the $1200 they want you to pay for it? Ridiculous!
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I have the smaller wheels. They are mostly fine. But, they lose all traction when the tile floor is wet, or other slippery circumstances. It is an OK tradeoff for me, as the lower height is far more important to me. When you lose traction, you just power(spin) through the wet spot until you reach some traction. I haven't had any problems with outdoors on paved terrain. I have had traction problems on a wet bumpy lawn. But, I have never gotten stuck. I have never had ground clearance problems (other than my footrests, which I have to finish the story on later).
    I see you have center footrests. Can you post a picture or even a video of the chair with the lower wheel setup? I'd love to see that. I was talked out of the smaller wheels but maybe it could be an option if things don't work out or I could change it before they actually order it?

As far as the light kit goes I'm just happy to have one. I've never had any lights on any of my Arrow Storm chairs.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-18-2018 at 05:16 PM.

After Numotion screwed up my order. I finally have a delivery date of around Jan 11th for my Amy R Hybrid.

Here's a link i found for an older Amy mid-wheel if anyone is interested in a Amy mid.

The suspension on the RWD is slightly different. But, most of that video applies in my experience. As I said earlier, the one case where it really fails is on slippery wet floors, where I get absolutely no traction. While my Quickie P222 still slid a bit, I could power through most circumstances. Like, I keep wondering that in an emergency, if I had to escape my bedroom, maybe I would rather be in my Quickie. Even if the tires started melting, I think it would still keep moving. Here's a pic of the narrow wheels that I should've posted a while ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C-6/7 incomplete

Appreciate your detailed response, Kulea. Thank you.

Kulea, Thanks for posting the picture. It?s definitely a option if I feel I am to high with the standard wheels. I?m going to rehab for a first fitting of the new chair on the 31st. If everything?s cool I get to take it home.