Thread: Botox for muscle spasms

Botox for muscle spasms

Hello,

Anyone have any experience using botox for muscle spasms (not bladder)? I am currently on 60mg baclofen (20mg 3x daily) and still getting spasticity and spasms. I was on 12mg Tizanadine (4mg 3x daily) as well for the last week, but have discontinued it as it made me very drowsy. The baclofen alone does not seem to produce any side effects and I have been using it for a while now.

I spoke with my doctor and he is recommending botox injections. I just want to make sure this is the right decision as he does not seem to know a whole lot about SCI. My spasms are mostly in my legs and lower back. My knee will flex up on either leg, and my lower back muscles will spasm pushing my body forward. This is especially frustrating when I am wheeling in my chair, as it will push me forward and cause me to lose control a bit.

My spasticity/tone is pretty bad as well, especially in the mornings. My legs will kick straight out and I will have to wait for them to calm down before I can do a transfer. While transferring if I got a spasm at the wrong time I could see it causing me to fall. Luckily this has not happened yet. Sitting on the chair my lower back spasms seem pretty bad in the mornings, multiple times per minute, often causing me to loose balance a bit. Luckily I am fairly stable and have good balance overall.. and it is kind of hard to explain exactly what is happening... but hopefully you understand.

I have no idea which muscles he plans to inject botox into for the type of spasms I am having... or if this is the right choice. I had been doing quite a bit of research about the baclofen pump... and thought I might like to try the test dose.. when I brought it up to him he shot the idea down and said that it is only used in extreme situations and he does not think I need it. Instead he recommended botox... I'm not sold on botox yet.. should I give it a shot?
    complete t6. injured skiing nov 2017.

my doc brought this up my last visit im considering the botox too i have a thread on here
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I checked out your thread, thanks!

The pump is a more tried and true method of controlling the spasms and spasticity but is not without it's issues. The one major benefit is that you already know how you react to baclofen and you would be receiving smaller doses. However, it is a surgical procedure to implant it and does come with all the risks that surgery brings.

Botox has been used successfully for awhile. The prescriber finds the trigger points in key muscles and injects them. Botox lasts anywhere from 3-6 months and the positive is that you can try different trigger points to get the maximum benefit from it. It can ascend meaning that other muscle groups can become affected from it causing weakness in those muscles.

We have patients who have used one or the other or both. Preference seems to be more connected with the procedure's success for that person.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.