Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frontier V6 All-terrain chair

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    A mid-wheel drive chair like the Frontier X5 will turn around in its own footprint. You can't do that in a front wheel drive because the rear wheels swing around.
    I can turn a much tighter area in my F3 then I can in any mid wheel...You dont have the front casters getting in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    I can turn a much tighter area in my F3 then I can in any mid wheel...You dont have the front casters getting in the way!
    I think the confusion comes with people who think turning radius equates to maneuverability. Turning radius occurs when you are sitting in one spot, so under those circumstances you don't take as much space. Maneuverability deals with how you move and navigate. Let's say you want to turn into a doorway. With a FWD, you turn as soon as your front wheels reach the opening. Now, if you were stopped, it is true that the rear of the chair would swing out, potentially hitting things. But since you are moving, the rear of the chair just ends up following the front end into the opening. If the turn is timed correctly, the rear doesn't swing out at all, and the turn takes place without using hardly any room. With a RWD chair, you can't really initiate the turn until the rear wheels reach the opening (unless you have a wide approach). The same thing, to a lesser degree, occurs with a MWD chair. This means that both of those chairs require a wider opening to make the turn. However, it is true that when trying to fit into tight spaces, where one has to do slow back and forth "wiggles", it is better to be in a MWD chair.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I think the confusion comes with people who think turning radius equates to maneuverability. Turning radius occurs when you are sitting in one spot, so under those circumstances you don't take as much space. Maneuverability deals with how you move and navigate. Let's say you want to turn into a doorway. With a FWD, you turn as soon as your front wheels reach the opening. Now, if you were stopped, it is true that the rear of the chair would swing out, potentially hitting things. But since you are moving, the rear of the chair just ends up following the front end into the opening. If the turn is timed correctly, the rear doesn't swing out at all, and the turn takes place without using hardly any room. With a RWD chair, you can't really initiate the turn until the rear wheels reach the opening (unless you have a wide approach). The same thing, to a lesser degree, occurs with a MWD chair. This means that both of those chairs require a wider opening to make the turn. However, it is true that when trying to fit into tight spaces, where one has to do slow back and forth "wiggles", it is better to be in a MWD chair.
    Here's a visual way of looking at it. Imagine trying to get your car into a very narrow parking space. If you are backing in (simulating a FWD chair) it isn't too difficult. Turning into the space going forward requires you to start wide so that you can finish the turn before you even enter the space (or a lot of back and forths to align yourself with the space. If your car was a MWD, likewise you would need a wide enough approach to complete the turn in advance, or do some back and forths.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    Here's a visual way of looking at it. Imagine trying to get your car into a very narrow parking space. If you are backing in (simulating a FWD chair) it isn't too difficult. Turning into the space going forward requires you to start wide so that you can finish the turn before you even enter the space (or a lot of back and forths to align yourself with the space. If your car was a MWD, likewise you would need a wide enough approach to complete the turn in advance, or do some back and forths.
    Here's another example of where a MWD doesn't do well. Let's say you have to do the equivalent of parallel parking, where you have to park your chair between objects and along side a wall, but as close to it as possible. In a FWD chair you pull in forward until your drive wheel hits the wall then pivot and, boom, you're there. Likewise with a RWD you back in until the drive wheel hits the wall and pivot. But, with a MWD there is no way to end up really close to the wall without doing some back and forths.

BTW- apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Good for you.

My front castors don't get in the way because they're behind my feet which hang directly beneath me at a 90-degree angle.
    Dave

Ive had both, X5 and the V6 both mid wheel drive chairs from Frontier. I love this mid wheel drive chair, although I'm in the process of getting the front wheel drive chair from Frontier. My first chair was a Quantum 1400 which was a FWD and did just as good if not better in the mud and it had the narrow drive tires on it. The FWD chairs you don't have the front castors getting hung up in the mud like the mid drive. I hope to write back real soon and tell you how the Frontier FWD does in comparison to the mid wheel drive.

Which model has better maneuverability depends on whether the user can sit properly on Permobil's narrow footplates. If that's possible, then the footplates will fit between the casters and the legrests can be brought all the way in to 85-90 degrees without any caster interference. If the user fits better on Permobil's wide footplates, then the legrests must be kicked out 20-30 degrees to prevent them from interfering with the front casters. When that is the case, the M3 will be ~4 1/2" longer than an F3 with the same seat depth. The F3 becomes the tighter turning chair. If the M3 has narrow footplates, they will fit between the casterss. In that scenario, the M3 is the more maneuverable chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images