Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sigmoid end colostomy?

I have periods when I shit swedish meatballs regularly; just shake em out and reinstall the bag. That's the ideal state!

I have periods that it comes out like sticky, thick Carvel; then I change the bag, squeeze out the old one into the toilet, and put the bag in the provided bag that comes with the new bags, for disposal. (when I first had the colostomy I was putting full bags in the disposal bags; my waste basket would soon get very heavy. I somehow don't like throwing away shit (pun intended). It seemed kind of gross, so I started emptying the bulk before bagging my bags.

Then I have periods when I don't poop for 3-5 days. Depending on my mood, I usually wait it out and shit happens.
    Other times I get scared and take some milk of mag-always seems to work inside of 24 hours.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    How long have you had the colostomy?
    coming up to 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I have periods when I shit swedish meatballs regularly; just shake em out and reinstall the bag. That's the ideal state!

I have periods that it comes out like sticky, thick Carvel; then I change the bag, squeeze out the old one into the toilet, and put the bag in the provided bag that comes with the new bags, for disposal. (when I first had the colostomy I was putting full bags in the disposal bags; my waste basket would soon get very heavy. I somehow don't like throwing away shit (pun intended). It seemed kind of gross, so I started emptying the bulk before bagging my bags.

Then I have periods when I don't poop for 3-5 days. Depending on my mood, I usually wait it out and shit happens.
    Other times I get scared and take some milk of mag-always seems to work inside of 24 hours.
    That is a bit of a relief, thank you. I'm a quad, so just gotta toss the shit
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Taking Miralax to keep consistency soft & moving, I hope. It's what they told me to do in hospital & ostomy nurse agreed. I'm backing off a bit to see what happens. But that pattern of barely anything for 4 days, then constant for 3 days feels terrible. I am really uncomfortably full for much of it and freaked out about constipation. Do you do anything regularly to keep it going?
    No I just eat a regular diet and let nature take its course.