Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigmoid end colostomy?

Tim C. -
    I'm 1 week and 1 day out from my body mod. I'm definitely not 100% yet, and still await a bm, but I have to say that after 27 years of not passing gas easily - if at all - just passing gas as it needs to move out has been worth the surgery. I know it's not for everyone, but I notice you always make a derogatory comment on colostomy posts. Why are you so vocally against it? Why not just pass by threads you feel so strongly against? I have not come across any negative posts by folks actually with colostomies.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

[QUOTE. I wish I would have had it done a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

This is what I keep reading and hearing. Really has me looking into this..

How often do you guys need to change bags? Pretty varied? Once every couple days maybe?

''How often do you guys need to change bags? Pretty varied? Once every couple days maybe?''

It varies. Sometimes I have to change it everyday. Sometimes I can go days before changing it. Depends on what you eat.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 04-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Tim C. -
    I'm 1 week and 1 day out from my body mod. I'm definitely not 100% yet, and still await a bm, but I have to say that after 27 years of not passing gas easily - if at all - just passing gas as it needs to move out has been worth the surgery. I know it's not for everyone, but I notice you always make a derogatory comment on colostomy posts. Why are you so vocally against it? Why not just pass by threads you feel so strongly against? I have not come across any negative posts by folks actually with colostomies.
    I agree 100%! Before my colostomy if I had gas I would get sweaty because I had no way to release it. It sucked! Now it is so much better.

Thanks all!
    Another question.. Could i use a suppository in the stoma to get things moving and clean myself out?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Thanks all!
    Another question.. Could i use a suppository in the stoma to get things moving and clean myself out?
    My surgeon told me I could, but I've attempted it a couple of times and couldn't keep the suppository in. With no sphincter it kept popping out before melting. A nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in but I haven't tried that yet.

For those who got their colostomies after many years of BPs, did you have to do anything to regulate output at first? I'm going on 6 weeks and my pattern so far has been 4 days of almost nothing, then 3 days of constant output. I need to get more regular but am at a loss. I take a dose of miralax/day. I am eating lots of veggies & salads, drinking coffee again...

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    My surgeon told me I could, but I've attempted it a couple of times and couldn't keep the suppository in. With no sphincter it kept popping out before melting. A nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in but I haven't tried that yet.
    Cool. How long have you had the colostomy?

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    For those who got their colostomies after many years of BPs, did you have to do anything to regulate output at first? I'm going on 6 weeks and my pattern so far has been 4 days of almost nothing, then 3 days of constant output. I need to get more regular but am at a loss. I take a dose of miralax/day. I am eating lots of veggies & salads, drinking coffee again...
    Mine varies day to day. Sometimes I have to change bags everyday and sometimes I go days without having to change it. Why are you taking miralax?

Taking Miralax to keep consistency soft & moving, I hope. It's what they told me to do in hospital & ostomy nurse agreed. I'm backing off a bit to see what happens. But that pattern of barely anything for 4 days, then constant for 3 days feels terrible. I am really uncomfortably full for much of it and freaked out about constipation. Do you do anything regularly to keep it going?