Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigmoid end colostomy?

Sigmoid end colostomy?

For those that have a sigmoid colostomy. Is it safe to use a enema or suppository like enemeez to get the balls of mucous paste to come out. I feel like there?s something there that doesn?t want to come out.
    Thanks

From what i've read, I believe you can use an enema or maybe just dig stim, but I'm just scheduled for April, so this is just from research, not experience.
    Also, posted this on another thread:
    For those who have been injured for decades (2 or so) and were taking laxatives (prune juice for me) and then had a colostomy, do you have to continue with laxatives? (sorry for the hijack)
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

no lax.... it's an open pipe... no more waiting... just don't eat before you maintenance your bag

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    no lax.... it's an open pipe... no more waiting... just don't eat before you maintenance your bag
    What they said ^ ^ ^ ^

Merci Beaucoup!
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Greetings!
    Say BP is every second morning, Is it possible to train the bowel afterward to maintain somewhat of that kind of routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Greetings!
    Say BP is every second morning, Is it possible to train the bowel afterward to maintain somewhat of that kind of routine?
    After a colostomy? I'm going to say no. As Patton 57 said it's an open pipe. I've had my colostomy for 4 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    After a colostomy? I'm going to say no. As Patton 57 said it's an open pipe. I've had my colostomy for 4 years.
    Four years?
    Wow, have you gotten used to it?

If you're talking about the lower end, I think they call it the stump, It's okay to do a suppository. Up the rectum of course, not the stoma. I wouldn't use it frequently but to get the odd "hairball" would be okay. My C. doc is surprised I don't have to do it. I've only had to do it a couple of times in 8 years I've had it.

With my Sigmoid, I don't do anything different except take one 2mg of Imodium to make the stool more consistent. It makes all the difference in the world for me. I can eat what I want, when I want. I've learned the schedule I usually go at. It's pretty right on. I know if I eat a big chinese dinner, two day later there's gonna be a big dump that may take up more than one bag. I always carry three extra bags with me. I wrap a couple paper towel sheets around the bag and insert it into the throwaway bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Four years?
    Wow, have you gotten used to it?
    I definitely have! After the surgery it took a few weeks to find the right colostomy bag. Since then everything has been pretty good. I wish I would have had it done a long time ago. Been injured almost 28 years.