Thread: Cyberdyne's HAL finally in the US.!

Cyberdyne's HAL finally in the US.!

HAL cyberdyne exoskeleton therapy is amazing and finally here. I'm currently doing therapy with HAL Cyberdyne if anyone has patient experience questions. Here is a video about it.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Cool and all, and not meaning to rain on their parade, but I don't see much new there from the existing exoskeletons out there.
    What's the price comparison with the ReWalk?

Show me video of a high SCI putting it on unassisted, standing unassisted and walking up stairs unassisted.. then you've really got my attention.

But for my money I'm still really trying to find somewhere I can try the Indego. Estim combined with an exoskeleton.. now someone was thinking for once, this I really want to try.

http://www.indego.com/indego/en/home

HAL is extremely different on how it works and is only designed for therapy use to help you train and strengthen your signals to trigger your muscles. Iv walked in indego a bunch for therapy but they are completely different. indego is for more complete injuries trying to get some activation or just wants to walk/stand because it can fully support your weight and initiate/control your step off of your hip movement. HAL is only for therapy use to help you regain functional movment/control and you need some residual signal getting to you muscles for it to work. With HAL you have total control of what the robot does by sending signals to your muscles and it only assists in the intended movment. Both are very good devices and have their place in the recovery world.

Mav - I didn't realize it was only for theriaputic purposes, but I did catch the fundamental difference in it's technology.
    I am curious tho - in the demo he said he was generating the movement, yet his own leg wasn't moving. How was that?
    What is your reaction as a user? Is this thing expediting recovery in a clear way? Is it akward to use? Is it comfortable?
    Thanks for the post. We are luck to live in an era of ever expanding technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    I am curious tho - in the demo he said he was generating the movement, yet his own leg wasn't moving. How was that?
    When you activate a muscle, there's a detectable electrical signal on the surface of the skin (which EMG measures). This signal is present before you actually fully activate the muscle, to the point where you can just think about moving that muscle and subsequently detect a signal with EMG. So, in the video, the guy is just thinking about activating the right muscle, and the system is detecting that and feeding it to the motors as a control input.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Maverick15
    have you tried the ReWalk ?
    Locomat ?

So if you can't generate any muscle signal the HAL won't activate ?

As a user Im extremely hopeful. HAL is helping me be able to gain control and learn how to fire my muscles at the right time and even isolated movements not just walking.I'm 2.5 years out from my injury Iv tried many different therapies and I've seen the biggest changes of my recovery since I started using hal. Iv seen big increases in my body weight supported walking distance and time. My foot placement and respiratory function have improved. I'm starting to get some new sensations in my legs too. This is definitely frustrating to use at first only because you have to figure out how to fire the correct muscle to make it work but that makes it soo worth it! Everything iv done in the past I just tried to do the movments not knowing if I was using the correct muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Maverick15
    have you tried the ReWalk ?
    Locomat ?

So if you can't generate any muscle signal the HAL won't activate ?
    I have seen the rewalk in person but i have not used it or the locomat. I have done a lot of treadmill training (therapist moving my legs) and I have done 4 days a week for 4 months in the indego. Yes you need some residual bioelectrical signals getting to your muscles for the hal to work. But it can pick up very small signals