Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New York City for the disabled traveller

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I know you have a really sunny outlook on everything, but you're just straight up being deceptive when you say that "subways our used by our community fine" and say that (at least i think this is what you're saying above) 75% inaccessible doesn't mean anything.

I mean it's a subway... inaccessible means several flights of stairs and often a barred gait that a wheelchair cannot fit through. It means we (meaning wheelchair users and those with mobility issues, which is 99.9% of this board) CANNOT use these stations. Period. It's not ambiguous. I mean I guess you could crawl down several flights of grimy NY stairs on your butt, but it wouldn't be advisable by any rational person.

If you want to suggest to people that obstacles are easily overcome and that anything is possible and that travel in NYC is easy, go for it. Just please let's keep it factual. Misleading people into thinking they can rely on an accessible subway is setting them up to have those negative experiences you hate reading about online. If someone comes asking for advice, I think they deserve to be informed and not bombarded with inaccurate propaganda about how accessible and easy to use something is when that's just not the truth.

If you want to wax poetic about how accessible NYC buses are, I'm all for it, pretty sure 100% of those are wheelchair accessible now and that's a great point to talk up.

Not sure if you have ever ridden the subway or just thoughts and feelings and what you are pulling through the internet.

Personal experience speaking every summer we use the subway never have issue. We can get to major city area with no problem.

From these location we can walk to the things we want to see and do.

Columbus Circle/Central Park

Grand Central station

Wall Street

42nd st

Broadway

Wall Street

Brooklyn Bridge

South Ferry

World Trade Center

Yankee Stadium

Coney Island

Lincoln Center

We buy a visitor pass for about $30 and we use the subway unlimited.

We take the elevator to down to the platform and board.

Not had many issues in the last 10 years on elevators being down or not working.

If the subway doesn't work for you feel free find another way to get around.

There just seems to be a core few that are set on Subway and cabs being not accessible but my guess is this is based on not trying either in the last few years.

Its interesting I had two people reach out to me already on who to navigate the subways...

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    We were in NYC last October. The first two days we walked everywhere. I'm not going to lie. It was very intimidating! It's always go go go! We've been to Vegas, New Orleans and Miami and they were a walk in the park compared to NYC! The rest of the time we used taxis. It definitely was better but they drive crazy!
    Hack: You and you new bride are the perfect example...we talked for a while you found a hotel upper west side and you two got around no problem.

You rolled and used WOW/Uber and didnt have issues.

Subway is there for those that want to try it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I am bemused by this thread.
    Having worked/lived there for over 30 years , commuting, moving about all parts of the city, in and out of buildings and dealing with it's inhabitants all day, many times 7 days/week.
    It was rarely anything other than one giant pain in the ass....AND THAT'S WHEN I WAS AB. I learned nearly every neighborhood by walking, driving, taxi-ing and taking most ever subway line. I became intimate with most street directions, traffic hubs, peculiar traffic patterns, and secret parking spots.
    My strong advice is to prepare to get your ass kicked. The Apple will swallow you up even without being wheel-chaired. Unless you're off hours (Sat or Sun 5 - 7 am) being in popular areas in a wheelchair you'll be pushed along amongst swarms of people while being relegated to waist-high views ahead of you (lest you have a persicope), counting Levis tags, contending with the impatient trying to get to where they're going to. You'll become a sidewalk obstacle. Yeah, most sidewalks have curb cuts, but most roads have potholes, subway grate dips, man-hole covers etc. Then there's cobble stone , sidewalk fences, sidewalks uprooted by curb trees, delivery trucks blocking sidewalks, driveways etc. I won't say all NY'ers are rude, but not everyone is so accommodating either. Subways....Good God man.
    Carry a 3ft ramp for the single step-ups you will encounter. Restaurants are tight, bathrooms tighter, sidewalk seating encroach too much.
    Bucket list..seriously?
    If you find yourself near Newark Airport, go a bit further and visit Wise Young. Nice guy, nudge him on sci research.
    My suggestions; pick exact destinations and go exactly there. It gets cold in the shadows of buildings, in the hot sun the pavement melts.

Tim: Living and working can be different the going to vacation but didnt really have those issues.

A few places around Grand Central didnt have cub cuts and a few areas in Wall Street also but just went down another street and good to go.

Its a old city so it can be rough mainly in SoHo with cobblestone streets.

Never had to carry a ramp and small places we ate that didnt have ramps built we went in with there fold out ramp or though the kitchen.

Not all stores are accessible so we just spent our money in other stores that are.

Sounds like you moved and that is a good thing if the city doesn't match your needs.

Can tell you how many times locals would tell us places to eat and see vs places we wanted to go.

Both Bus drivers and train and subway drivers are very helpful when needing extra time or help.

Any big city has its challenges DC, LA, San Francisco, but all are doable.

We have a friend who was a professor at Columbia and now retired and he wont move no matter how bad the challenges are.

Everyone is different

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Not sure if you have ever ridden the subway or just thoughts and feelings and what you are pulling through the internet.

Personal experience speaking every summer we use the subway never have issue. We can get to major city area with no problem.

From these location we can walk to the things we want to see and do.

Columbus Circle/Central Park

Grand Central station

Wall Street

42nd st

Broadway

Wall Street

Brooklyn Bridge

South Ferry

World Trade Center

Yankee Stadium

Coney Island

Lincoln Center

We buy a visitor pass for about $30 and we use the subway unlimited.

We take the elevator to down to the platform and board.

Not had many issues in the last 10 years on elevators being down or not working.

There just seems to be a core few that are set on Subway and cabs being not accessible but my guess is this is based on not trying either in the last few years.

Its interesting I had two people reach out to me already on who to navigate the subways...

You keep replying about how people lack personal experience. I fully admit it’s been 10 years since I rode the subway. But I also know that in that time no stations have been made accessible. You post a map that demonstrates my point that 75% of stations are inaccessible. Yes there are a few stations near tourist attractions that are. Feel free to point that out. But as I’ve pointed out before if you are to take a trip from any random two points in NYC, assuming you don’t have to transfer at all and stay on the same line to make things as easy as possible, there is just under a 7% chance that you will be able to make this trip (meaning that both stations, starting station and destination, will be navagible by wheelchair), that’s a far cry from accessible or easily used by our community.

I think we both have the same goal: to help and encourage people to travel. However we have differing philosophies on how to accomplish this. Probably represents fundamental differences in our personalities and bodes better for your overall life outlook than mine. I tend to prefer facts and knowledge about the city/situation I’m heading into and you seem to be suggesting people should just go, and if you need to mislead them a little with exaggeration and false information to get them out the door it will be worth it in the end because they will middle through and the adversity of unexpected challenges will add to their spirit of adventure. I just fundamentally disagree with that tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Hack: You and you new bride are the perfect example...we talked for a while you found a hotel upper west side and you two got around no problem.

You rolled and used WOW/Uber and didnt have issues.

Subway is there for those that want to try it...
    I will say it wasn't easy! One spasm and there were hundreds of people trying to get around us. They didn't care.

This thread has seemed to take a turn from the original post, so I'll ask here...assuming elevators do work, how does one in a large, heavy power chair "mind the gap" that is apparently so prevalent and inconsistent throughout the NYC system? I don't mean to dwell on Tokyo, but there are workers who will guide you to the correct subway car, lay down a ramp if needed, and upon arrival at your destination, have someone waiting with a ramp. Boston from my experience has this as well. Why can't/doesn't NYC??

London has similar problems to NYC, check this report from a newly refurbed station. Subsequent to the comments from the representative I have submitted a Freedom of Information request asking how much of the $8m went on Accessibility. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/disabil...ally-step-free

Blog Entries
    """We take the elevator to down to the platform and board.

There just seems to be a core few that are set on Subway and cabs being not accessible but my guess is this is based on not trying either in the last few years."""

LIVE---WORK---VISIT; STILL THE SAME OBSTACLES; IT'S BATTLE.
    I GUESS IF YOU CONSIDER CONTENDING WITH THE "OBSTACLES" AS PART OF YOUR FUN VACATION EXPERIENCE THEN IT'S NO WONDER YOU ROLL POSITIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    This thread has seemed to take a turn from the original post, so I'll ask here...assuming elevators do work, how does one in a large, heavy power chair "mind the gap" that is apparently so prevalent and inconsistent throughout the NYC system? I don't mean to dwell on Tokyo, but there are workers who will guide you to the correct subway car, lay down a ramp if needed, and upon arrival at your destination, have someone waiting with a ramp. Boston from my experience has this as well. Why can't/doesn't NYC??
    Each platform is different and over the years the ground has shifted and settled.

Some platforms have the ADA sinage as if someone needing to board would go to that area but we noticed not all of those areas are even.

So when a train came in to the station we would start rolling down the platform till we say a gap that seemed more even.

Big advantage with front wheel drive vs mid wheel because front wheel climbs steeper inclines.

Just need to be watchful when leaving a train on the gap...when in doubt back off the train.

This is a pretty good video vlog she has a very positive outlook!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    """We take the elevator to down to the platform and board.

There just seems to be a core few that are set on Subway and cabs being not accessible but my guess is this is based on not trying either in the last few years."""

LIVE---WORK---VISIT; STILL THE SAME OBSTACLES; IT'S BATTLE.
    I GUESS IF YOU CONSIDER CONTENDING WITH THE "OBSTACLES" AS PART OF YOUR FUN VACATION EXPERIENCE THEN IT'S NO WONDER YOU ROLL POSITIVE.

Life is what it is way to many things we can't control! Hate to say it but New York City is a world destination spot so why should that be any different for people with in our community?