Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New York City for the disabled traveller

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Most of the comments related to poor subway access and unreliability of wheelchair taxis reinforced by the first few comments on the app link. You have to know which stations are usable. No different in London, transport for London just did a $8m refurb of one tube station and you still need a ramp to get on/off a train. Welcome to 2018 and disability access laws going back decades! I think that if we decide to do it we need to plan each day very carefully, probably not use my power chair and hotel with good access to subway, bus network.
    I think taken out of context people complaining is minimal...when I read post like yours of people wanting to travel on an exciting adventure but then talk fear comments by saying I am not going to fly or use my power chair makes me disappointed.

We have a world to visit and explore and when we revert back to using a manual chair we go backwards in losing some form of independence by having to have someone push us etc. There is absolutely nothing a manual chair can provide that a power chair cant...do things happen of course but that's life.

Also in this post like the post of someone going to Seattle traveling each month I cant say enough dont over plan, overthink and over schedule...

Leave part of your trip just unscheduled and just enjoy the adventure and journey.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic...abilities.html

Seems to have a lot of info. I do hope you go. New York is on my bucket list, but the years keep ticking by for me.

https://www.flightcentre.ca/destination/new-york
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    I think life is what you make it...we come as tourist each summer from arizona so I think if you have it in your mind that its going to be a bad experience then it probably is. We look at it as part of the adventure! The subway and the whole underground is a world of its own! We can by a week long visitor pass for unlimited bus and subway for less then $30.

Some of the stops we know by heart...Grand Central, 42nd st, Madison Sq, Columbus Cir, Wall street, Coney Island.

Plus more so when we want to get to one of those areas and we take the elavator to the platforms, sometimes we watch the train approach and not all platforms are even with the train so we roll down the platform till we see a spot that is more smoother to the train level and board.

When its busy people are pretty good about moving, once your on we think its fun.

If we get to a stop and the elevator is broken we get back on and take it to the next stop or come back around get off on the return trip different elevator.

In going 10 plus years I have to say elevators being out is pretty minimal for us.
    Good to hear your experience, but having visited NYC (only as a young healthy, poor, AB) someone who can walk a few blocks can get everywhere in manhattan and lots of places in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens using only the subway system.

With 75% of stations inaccessible regardless of elevator status the odds of the nearest station to you and the nearest station to your destination BOTH being accessible is one in 16, meaning it's overwhelmingly likely you're going to have to take a bus/cab/uber so you might as well go that way in any case.

Sure I guess it can be fun to ride a subway for kicks, but as far as being a feasible method of transportation from A to B, I think that it has a lot of room for improvement. And as I said above it's shameful that such a rich city has such an inaccessible metro system.

I want to ride in the Cash Cab with Ben.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

I think taken out of context people complaining is minimal...when I read post like yours of people wanting to travel on an exciting adventure but then talk fear comments by saying I am not going to fly or use my power chair makes me disappointed.

We have a world to visit and explore and when we revert back to using a manual chair we go backwards in losing some form of independence by having to have someone push us etc. There is absolutely nothing a manual chair can provide that a power chair cant...do things happen of course but that's life.

Also in this post like the post of someone going to Seattle traveling each month I cant say enough dont over plan, overthink and over schedule...

Leave part of your trip just unscheduled and just enjoy the adventure and journey.

I think that you are a much lower level injury as I have no option but to plan everything that I do. Basic things like how long I am out of the house and whether my vent has battery capacity should something unexpected occur. Dying because you don't plan probably isn't something you have to consider? My power chair with me in is 200kg and long, 2 trips recently I have struggled to fit in an elevator, my support worker has to be with me in case of a vent disconnect and can't get in. They get me and chair into elevator, hit the floor number then run upstairs to get me. Hopefully the pipe hasn't disconnected and I'm not at another floor with the alarm going on the vent and other elevator users standing staring wondering what to do. Getting up a curb isn't easy and almost impossible for my support workers to lift me given the weight of the chair, not much I can do about that other than take a portable ramp with me which isn't easy to do in a big city going sightseeing.

I travel extensively in the UK, work on events on the side of mountains as well as bike shows representing the companies I work for. As far as I know I'm the only tetraplegic project managing bike design and bike manufacture. Don't really have boundaries other than the obvious physical ones like being unable to move and dependent on others all the time.

I can only do this because I have the right equipment and plan almost every scenario I can think of and make sure I have contingency if needed. Adventure is great if it's not uncomfortable and you can enjoy it which I did extensively prior to my injury but when you are 100% dependent on others it isn't quite the same. Currently in the process of planning doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzW11xp9WWU&frags=wn in my off road wheelchair, just getting me into the start gate is a challenge, ride up won’t be in a gondola but one of the equipment carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Good to hear your experience, but having visited NYC (only as a young healthy, poor, AB) someone who can walk a few blocks can get everywhere in manhattan and lots of places in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens using only the subway system.

With 75% of stations inaccessible regardless of elevator status the odds of the nearest station to you and the nearest station to your destination BOTH being accessible is one in 16, meaning it's overwhelmingly likely you're going to have to take a bus/cab/uber so you might as well go that way in any case.

Sure I guess it can be fun to ride a subway for kicks, but as far as being a feasible method of transportation from A to B, I think that it has a lot of room for improvement. And as I said above it's shameful that such a rich city has such an inaccessible metro system.
    Yeah it sounds like you have your mind made up so nothing I am going to say will change it...

I have heard people in our community hyper focused on the negatives and that makes it rough to figure out ways of making things happen.

In our world we become masters at problem solving! Each of his have figured ways to do some of the most basic task with unique ideas...now the world calls then "hacks".

We have friends that live there so when we plan to go out and meet we get to any place and one else goes!

Plus I think if you believe something enough you can will it to be the truth.

Life is never going to be equal so why worry about? Just enjoy it in whatever way you can...
    Last edited by RollPositive; 03-22-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I think that you are a much lower level injury as I have no option but to plan everything that I do. Basic things like how long I am out of the house and whether my vent has battery capacity should something unexpected occur. Dying because you don't plan probably isn't something you have to consider? My power chair with me in is 200kg and long, 2 trips recently I have struggled to fit in an elevator, my support worker has to be with me in case of a vent disconnect and can't get in. They get me and chair into elevator, hit the floor number then run upstairs to get me. Hopefully the pipe hasn't disconnected and I'm not at another floor with the alarm going on the vent and other elevator users standing staring wondering what to do. Getting up a curb isn't easy and almost impossible for my support workers to lift me given the weight of the chair, not much I can do about that other than take a portable ramp with me which isn't easy to do in a big city going sightseeing.

I travel extensively in the UK, work on events on the side of mountains as well as bike shows representing the companies I work for. As far as I know I'm the only tetraplegic project managing bike design and bike manufacture. Don't really have boundaries other than the obvious physical ones like being unable to move and dependent on others all the time.

I can only do this because I have the right equipment and plan almost every scenario I can think of and make sure I have contingency if needed. Adventure is great if it's not uncomfortable and you can enjoy it which I did extensively prior to my injury but when you are 100% dependent on others it isn't quite the same. Currently in the process of planning doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzW11xp9WWU&frags=wn in my off road wheelchair, just getting me into the start gate is a challenge, ride up won’t be in a gondola but one of the equipment carriers.
    Tried to give you as much information as possible...hope you still go but sounds like you might be talking yourself out of it.

New York City is one of the most amazing cities with world traveling tourist, I known many people in much more challenging situations that have done it with no issues.

Its there and so much fun hope you take the challenge and do it!
    Last edited by RollPositive; 03-22-2018 at 01:37 AM.

Tried to give you as much information as possible...hope you still go but sounds like you might be talking yourself out of it.

New York City is one of the most amazing cities with world traveling tourist, I known many people in much more challenging situations that have done it with no issues.

Its there and so much fun hope you take the challenge and do it!
    I appreciate the comments but have enough experience of travelling to know that I start from worst case scenario, plan for that and you should always be able to have a good time. First job is to work out which area/hotel along with transport options. Knowing how difficult it is in London navigating the underground and amount of time you can waste in stations trying to get from one line to another is something I would like to avoid for a vacation, the last thing I want to do is spoil my wife's vacation spending it trying to get around a subway station

I think while it's always helpful to get feedback from others, one should never assume or generalize that just because something worked for him/her, was easy to do, etc., that it will be the case for everyone. Everyone has such different interests, abilities, etc.

"mrb," I understand and respect your need to prepare and to plan for your well being and safety. When we travel, there are a lot of things we are willing to be serendipitous about, but for the sake of the comfort and pleasure of the trip, certain things have to be nailed down tight to give us the freedom to enjoy the rest of the experience. When your mind is free from worrying about the details, you are free to enjoy why you are visiting a destination. You've got some time before your trip to work out the logistics that are essential and important to you and your wife. Hope you will look further afield than comments and recommendations on Care Cure and make your own inquires and judgements about what is comfortable for the two of you. Good luck.