Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: botox for legs

botox for legs

my doc told me she could inject botox into my legs for spasms anyone ever try that or hear any pros and cons of it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

It has to be a specific muscle. Not applicable for strong tone over all muscles. Because there is no way to inject all muscles.

I’ve had it in my calves twice - gastroc & soleus - and it’s been helpful both times. How long it lasts varies between people as does how effective it is.

You can inject a pretty wide range of muscles. Get's done lots of times for other neurologic disorders like MS. If you hit the major muscles it has the potential to tone things down a lot without any systemic side effects because it just paralyzes the muscles without getting into your blood stream. It will wear off after a few months though and you'll have to do it again.

If spasticity was a problem for me (and especially if I had to take medications for it) I would definitely go for a little botox. As long as insurance covers it or you can afford it (quite expensive) there's not much to lose. The only big downside would be if you "use" your spasticity for something. Like having floppy, flaccid legs might make transfers difficult or if you have any movement/control over your legs it's going to make them much, much weaker.

Let's say your injury is T8 and you have strong tone in all muscles. How many injections would that be? Last time I looked into it, insurance covered only 1 or 2 injections.

OP didn't say what insurance he had. I've definitely seen insurance cover >20 injections at a time to >10 muscle groups on multiple limbs, but that was for MS.

I have original Medicare - I had 7 shots in 2 muscle groups in both legs, for a total of 14 injections. I got the impression it was the volume of Botox rather than the number of injection sites that needed approval.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    I got the impression it was the volume of Botox rather than the number of injection sites that needed approval.
    That does jog my memory. I vaguely recall the doctor discussing budgeting the dose. I think the entire volume went into my quads. No results. The baclofen pump works great and with much less bother and money.

im on workers comp ins the doc is checking to see if theyll pay it m spasms arent super bad just at times and i have a lot of tone or tightness she said she starts with a low dose and usually last maybe 6 months
    i never thought to ask about side effects or how many injections but she said it was costly im putting it in the think tank
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Worked for me but too expensive. I now go for phenol (spelling?) injection into nerves for legs every 6 months.