Thread: Stephen Hawking, Dead at Age 76

Stephen Hawking, Dead at Age 76

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/o...king-dead.html

Stephen W. Hawking, the Cambridge University physicist and best-selling author who roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, pondering the nature of gravity and the origin of the universe and becoming an emblem of human determination and curiosity, died early Wednesday at his home in Cambridge, England. He was 76.

His death was confirmed by a spokesman for Cambridge University.

"Not since Albert Einstein has a scientist so captured the public imagination and endeared himself to tens of millions of people around the world," Michio Kaku, a professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York, said in an interview. Dr. Hawking did that largely through his book A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes, published in 1988. It has sold more than 10 million copies and inspired a documentary film by Errol Morris. The 2014 film about his life, The Theory of Everything, was nominated for several Academy Awards and Eddie Redmayne, who played Dr. Hawking, won the Oscar for best actor.

A brilliant man. RIP.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Why couldn't science offer him hope? A treatment? A better quality of life? After everything he gave to us?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Why couldn't science offer him hope? A treatment? A better quality of life? After everything he gave to us?
    Yet to the best of my awareness he never expressed much disappointment about his disability. And given that he was told he had only 3 years to live following diagnosis and lived decades beyond that, I suppose an argument could be made that it was medicine (or just immense good luck) that kept him alive.

That said, I hear (and know) your frustration that applied neuroregenerative science has seemed stuck in neutral for like forever -- the forever of our lives.

His original prognosis was a 2 year life span, he managed 55! This he put down to the NHS and how he was looked after by them. His work whilst disabled broke down common beliefs that the disabled can't work, almost certainly helping the likes of me being able to start our own business and find clients who understand that it is our brains they are going to use. For that I am very grateful.