Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sci on american idol

sci on american idol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgEOGLMgaI
    Last edited by trekker6; 03-14-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

From the pre-interview: "I'm going to reintegrate myself into real life."

Apparently the last 33yrs have been fake for me ... lol ... ahhh youth.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    This is emblematic of one of the biggest problems we face: being pitied and infantilized for just doing what normal people do: Falling in love. Having a talent. Sharing that talent. Sorry, but not "inspiring" at all. He's just a guy, with a voice and a girlfriend, but his "mild" SCI makes this "inspirational?!. Nope.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Not that good.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Wow,
    I'm happy for the guy, how damaged does he have to be for us to accept him, we should celebrate every recovery, oh well, my wife says I'm too emotional, and that's ok with me.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Actually I thought he was good .. but no need to tear down the rest of us.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Good stuff!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    Wow,
    I'm happy for the guy, how damaged does he have to be for us to accept him, we should celebrate every recovery, oh well, my wife says I'm too emotional, and that's ok with me.

Who isn't accepting him? I think it was awesome he got on the show, however, Should we be patronizing on account of his injury?

I dunno whose comment youre referring too, but mine was about how he was treated by the ABs, not him, for doing something normal, and not particularly fantastic, which struck me as being overblown and patronizing by the ABs on account of his disability.

I bet he managed to leave the house with matching socks too! How inspiring!!!

Is it so crazy I'd rather he (and all of us) be judged solely on his (our) talent on a talent show and not be patronized on account of an SCI, or a lucky recovery?

Maybe that isn't what happened, which is why I said "emblematic" of something we face as PWD that isn't that good for us IMO.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    This is emblematic of one of the biggest problems we face: being pitied and infantilized for just doing what normal people do: Falling in love. Having a talent. Sharing that talent. Sorry, but not "inspiring" at all. He's just a guy, with a voice and a girlfriend, but his "mild" SCI makes this "inspirational?!. Nope.
    I'm with you bro, agree 100%... it's quite patronizing and degrading.

The proper trick is to take advantage of that patronizing attitude and capitalize on it. His crutches got him on to the next stage of the competition, good for him. I'm quite sure the simple fact of being in a chair opened a couple doors in my career that would not have otherwise been opened to me, just because people felt pity... now if I can just figure out those damn stairs.