Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seattle

I dont know about Uber or Uberwav. I was wondering how you were planning to get to the Boeing tour. If you drove yourself in a rental from the hotel I would allow 2 hrs to get there and plan 2 hrs 2 get home on I-5. My suggestion is to take a different route (the ferry) home after the tour is complete. I like to drive a new route home rather than repeat the same route in reverse.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Landrover part of the fun of traveling is just enjoying and not having everything planned..

Enjoy the adventure not just rush from tourist attraction to another.

Uber WAV is avil in Seattle...
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 03-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Landrover part of the fun of traveling is just enjoying and not having everything planned..

I agree. Slow down and enjoy, don't be afraid to ask questions here. We are friendly.
    RollPositive, UberWav does not come up on our Samsung android app. I googled the instructions which said there should be a slider bar at the bottom bla, bla. We just got the map and location thing. Could it be an Iphone only thing for Seattle?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post

Sorry to disagree with you "RollPositive." But when you have a very short period in time when you can capture the essence of a destination, I think you need a plan, and then be ready to enjoy the serendipity of the moment within that purview.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    I dont know about Uber or Uberwav. I was wondering how you were planning to get to the Boeing tour. If you drove yourself in a rental from the hotel I would allow 2 hrs to get there and plan 2 hrs 2 get home on I-5. My suggestion is to take a different route (the ferry) home after the tour is complete. I like to drive a new route home rather than repeat the same route in reverse.
    Boeing Everett is actually located next to Mukilteo. Sorry I misread what you wrote. Leaving from the Edmonds ferry if the wait is not too long is fine, but there is the issue of possibly not being able to deploy the ramp. It used to be in the reverse commute direction one could space out their car if the ferry worker would let you. But there might not be a reverse commute anymore.
    Last edited by nonoise; 03-20-2018 at 12:29 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I agree. Slow down and enjoy, don't be afraid to ask questions here. We are friendly.
    RollPositive, UberWav does not come up on our Samsung android app. I googled the instructions which said there should be a slider bar at the bottom bla, bla. We just got the map and location thing. Could it be an Iphone only thing for Seattle?
    Nonnoise it should work...put in an address in seattle I used the hotel Landrover is looking to stay at then set it for the Airport. It will show Uber x 1st then swipe to the left for WAV.

Landrover I would plan one or 2 things to due and play the rest by just seeing things as you walk or roll around.

https://www.futureofflight.org/

Last edited by RollinPositive; 03-20-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry to disagree with you "RollPositive." But when you have a very short period in time when you can capture the essence of a destination, I think you need a plan, and then be ready to enjoy the serendipity of the moment within that purview.

I am not sure how much travel any more and its totally ok to disagree but I cant tell you how many people have traveled with us over the years and they spend so much time planning every thing then once they get there they spend so much time running from place to place that they really dont end up enjoying the trip and come home exhausted.

In our community that can be impacted even more because some of us take a lot of effort just to get ready for our days and some get more tired easy.

Some of my Wife and myself best adventures are the things we didnt plan and ran into by mistake or suggestions from locals!

Second try, I accidentally deleted my first response so I will do this like email.

>Bremerton ferry ride is good also. I find the town is a little gritty, it's active military. If you like old
    Don't get off at Bremerton. Stay on the ferry.

> If you drive on a ferry you may not be able to exit your vehicle for the trip.
    I've been trapped in my car as an AB. Ferry workers try to get as many cars on the boat as possible. Even when it is only half full they jam them in.

>Reservations are advised for vehicles! The vehicle lines can be
    Not likely for Seattle and it's destinations. Here is the website: https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferr...e/default.aspx

> The hwy 99 Viaduct is being demolished.
    That is one demo mess that won't obstruct your path. The 99 viaduct won't come down until after a new contractor is selected in the spring of 2019. Traffic should be of it and in the tunnel before the end of this year.

>Alki Beach...Great view day or night...Saltys is the marque restaurant in this hood but there are several others
    >further on around the point.

Saltys is about where the foot ferry lands directly across from downtown in West Seattle. From there it is all public park along the beach to the end of Alki about three miles. Saltys is pricy. You will see why. It is the only restaurant on the water on this side. It is good and usually packed.
    Last edited by nonoise; 03-20-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    This feedback is much appreciated!! I'll comment more when I have time because they deserve a response, but a quick question for "Rook98006"...are you saying the trip to the Boeing factory tour takes 2 hours by car each way, or that you can take the ferry there (and if so, how would one get from the dock to the tour site?

Also, are there any accessible trails in Mt. Ranier worth exploring?
    Here are google comments on the Boeing tour: https://www.google.com/search?client...0!2i813!4f13.1

I hope someone posts accessible trails they have taken for Mt Rainier. Here is a fun fact I pulled off wikipedia : Mount Rainier has a topographic prominence of 13,210 ft (4,026 m), which is greater than that of K2, the world's second-tallest mountain, at 13,189 ft (4,020 m) You can visit Sunrise, or Paradise on the mountain and get around, but I do not know how far from the parking lot. Two years ago I selected a place called Avenue of the Giants (big trees) to take the family because internet pictures looked like the short trail was very wheelchair friendly. I got about two hundred feet into it and it turned into nothing more than another steep windy mountain trail. One of my sons pushed me back and sat it out while the rest went down to the grove of giants. One thing useful on that trip is we both got lifetime national park passes. As a young adult I walked up the Carbon river in the park on what was mostly left of an old road to the Carbon Glacier. I wish parks would/could maintain such things instead of encouraging them to revert to nature for only the very healthy to enjoy.

Many good comments. Planning the perfect trip and then pulling it off is next to impossible. Most important for me is to be comfortable wherever you are. Dress in layers, have access to food and water. I love stopping at some unknown mountain cafe but I don't want to depend on it.

My take on trails...

It cost money to build a trail, it cost more money to maintain a trail. It only takes one good storm for a trail to become impassable.
    You can't control nature and it never rest.

Much of the work is done by volunteers and they do a great job trying to keep up. There are many trail guides and reviews online. When they say assistance required, believe them. I just don't think you can go wrong whatever you do.

Everyone has a different energy level and hopefully we all know ours. Nonoise mentioned steep twisty roads.
    If you drive from your chair make sure you are secure!
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete