Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seattle

Seattle

So after some debate, I've decided to plan a trip to Seattle in September. As of now I'm tentatively planning to stay at the Kimpton Alexis hotel. I haven't gotten deep into the itinerary yet, but I had a couple questions to start. Is the train/transit from SeaTac to the hotel feasible, or would I be better off taking an accessible taxi or shuttle (I would be arriving around 9 pm, departing 7 am). I'd like to limit a van rental as much as possible, but my thought is to rent a van the last 2 or 3 days (7 day stay), and visit the coastline (recommendations?), and then since I would have an early departure, I would have the convenience of the van the morning of my return flight.

Options for the coast include driving from the Tacoma area out to the Pacific coast (Long Beach, Ocean City, Westport, etc.), then head north and drive around the north end of the Olympic Peninsula including a stop at Hurricane Ridge viewpoint in Olympic National Park. Continue on to Port Townsend, and then take the ferry to Whidbey Island, then head north toward Deception Pass bridge and cross to Fidalgo Island and Anacortes (where my sister lives). Drive to the top of Mt. Erie for a great view here. You can either take the ferry out to the San Juan Islands from there or drive back to the mainland and Highway 5 from Anacortes (at Mt. Vernon), then head south to Seattle again. I would give myself 2-3 days for this trip.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The Klimpton Alexis is south of the University St. Station by about 6 blocks. The monorail is accessible. There are hotels closer to the monorail line, and to the sights most people want to see including Pike St. Market, the Aquarium, etc. The Sheraton is about 2 blocks from the Westlake station, and I have stayed there for events including the National Veterans Wheelchair Games and ASIA meetings, so I know they have accessible rooms.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you, I appreciate your help! I was thinking more along the lines of a day trip, if possible. My only concern when making it a multiple day trip is the hotel issue (finding no platform beds), but if highly recommended, I would consider doing the legwork. Any rec's on hotels on that route? Is a day trip to Ruby Beach possible (a long day), and is the beach itself (the view of) accessible?

I imagine the ferry's would accommodate a lowered floor minivan?

May I ask why Seattle? That's my town...or it used to be before the chair. I moved to a smaller city because it is easier to get around. You picked a good time of year. University Street Station is part of the downtown underground transit system of buses and trains...about 4 blocks from the hotel you mentioned. Link to the light rail system... https://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

Is it feasible...all depends on you. I don't know your abilities. How are you with hills? This is across the street from the hotel you mentioned. It is not as steep going toward the waterfront I see KLD already responded with many of the highlights. The Hoh rain forest is interesting if you do the Olympic peninsula loop. You can drive on the beaches in Washington at your own risk of course. Lake Quinalt used to have a nice lodge but not sure about accessible rooms. The ferry should not be a problem for a lowered van.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Hi, I've heard great things about Seattle. I use a power chair, so for the most part hills are not an issue.

I love Seattle. It is a great city to visit, and as above, Sept. is a good time to go. Unlikely to have rain, beautiful sunsets, and most of the Alaska cruises are done, so the airfare is usually better than during the summer as well.

(KLD)

There is a great deal of natural beauty but it would require much more time. In the city Fremont is the hippster neighbor hood. The Locks had some ramped walkways but I can't remember the details. Capital Hill is the alternative lifestyle crowd. SoDo and Pioneer Square are still just barely hanging onto there early roots. Alki beach is has a nice view of the city but traffic is a bear. Flight museum has an SR71 on display...or the 747 factory in Everette used to have tours. I have not had the pleasure of visiting South Lake Union yet...edit since the Amazon transformation. Traffic is a pain everywhere you go!
    Last edited by Rook98006; 03-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Any insight on Ruby Beach?

It's just south of the Hoh. Is there a hotel there now? Everything is gorgeous all up and down the peninsula coast. These are wilderness areas. Google maps allows you to zoom in. It really does look just like the pictures! But you never see it from the parking lot. I'm used to crawling around and sleeping on the beach. I could never get down there now.
    T5/6 complete