Thread: quadriplegic versus appalachian trail

quadriplegic versus appalachian trail

I was reading ancient gimps thread about the Appalachian trail and remembered this story of a quadriplegic attempting the trail and felt she needed her own thread.http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...il-exoskeleton
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Before my accident and right before college I hiked all of Georgia, some sections multiple times, and about a week's worth of hiking over the state line. I had plans to do it all in sections but went and broke my neck. I'd be down to tackle it physically but the logistics of bowel care and keeping battery power to an exoskeleton seem daunting. That would take quite a bit of planning for the recharge points along the trail.
    Last edited by Tman9513; 03-13-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Stacey Kozel, the woman featured in the story about hiking the Appalachian Trail attempted to hike the (PCT) Pacific Crest Trail (2.650 miles) from the Mexican Border to the Canadian border, alone, beginning March 28. 2017. She originally announced she finished the trail in late August or early September, and when closely questioned, she said September 3, 2017. A number of hikers and hiking groups have questioned the validity of the hike. Allegedly no one saw her on the trail, she didn't sign in to any of the check stops, and she didn't use GPS.

I don't know if the allegations are true, but you can read various inconsistencies and questions about her hike of the PCT here:
    http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loca.../283-477641124
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/facebook-gr...ry?id=50031481
    https://deadspin.com/how-did-no-one-...e-p-1818647235

This woman is amazing. No doubt climbing Katahdin is tough but the most difficult mile is reportedly Mahussuc Notch just inside Maine. If you check out a You Tube video of this mile long boulder jumble it's hard to envision her getting through that. Still, she has tremendous grit and does inspire me.

I hope it's not true that she faked the pacific crest trail, I've hiked the Appalachian from springer to Virginia and it is arduous, the pacific crest is even harder and the water issues are much tougher, so I could understand the doubters, they are probably correct. On the trail you usually sign in the log books and many people use support teams for an sci hiker, it would be essential, the gps would probably be a must.
    Now that casts doubt on the Appalachian thruhike.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

The other thing I noticed is typically a thru hiker loses a ton of weight and is usually very gaunt and very toned, she looked heavy for a thruhiker, but people have different physiques.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Stacey Kozel, the woman featured in the story about hiking the Appalachian Trail attempted to hike the (PCT) Pacific Crest Trail (2.650 miles) from the Mexican Border to the Canadian border, alone, beginning March 28. 2017. She originally announced she finished the trail in late August or early September, and when closely questioned, she said September 3, 2017. A number of hikers and hiking groups have questioned the validity of the hike. Allegedly no one saw her on the trail, she didn't sign in to any of the check stops, and she didn't use GPS.

I don't know if the allegations are true, but you can read various inconsistencies and questions about her hike of the PCT here:
    http://www.kgw.com/article/news/loca.../283-477641124
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/facebook-gr...ry?id=50031481
    https://deadspin.com/how-did-no-one-...e-p-1818647235
    March 28th 2017 to September 3rd 2017 was 159 days. 2,650 miles / 159 days = 16.87 miles per day. When I hiked the AT, I was 18 and incredible shape. We did 15-17 mile days at best, and some of that was even jogging with packs on when we hit level grounds. Average human walking speed is 3.1 mph, flat terrain. She would have to walk average human walking speed for almost 6 hours a day. I'm not sure the math agrees when you factor in how fast she probably walked, plus downtime for battery swaps/charging.

To trekker6's comments about weight - absolutely. Hiking for months at a time (unless your diet is solely Nutella) would shed pounds considerably and be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    March 28th 2017 to September 3rd 2017 was 159 days. 2,650 miles / 159 days = 16.87 miles per day. When I hiked the AT, I was 18 and incredible shape. We did 15-17 mile days at best, and some of that was even jogging with packs on when we hit level grounds. Average human walking speed is 3.1 mph, flat terrain. She would have to walk average human walking speed for almost 6 hours a day. I'm not sure the math agrees when you factor in how fast she probably walked, plus downtime for battery swaps/charging.

To trekker6's comments about weight - absolutely. Hiking for months at a time (unless your diet is solely Nutella) would shed pounds considerably and be noticeable.
    Conditions on the PCT were very difficult last summer, with late snow, avalanches, and wildfires. She is quoted as saying she would hike 30 miles a day to keep ahead of the wildfires in Oregon and Washington.

She filmed much of her journey...why not film this too if she actually did it.

I am so bummed to find out she may now be a fraud.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

After some reading...I am so sorry that she did this. I wanted to really believe she completed it.

So what was the motive? Attention?? Sponsors??? I even saw her on a couple of the morning news shows. She told me in the beginning that she wanted insurance to pay for exoskeletons for those who could use them. She said that was her whole motivation for all of this and all of the attention.

I have worn braces for 30 years....I so wanted to believe that those braces would hold up to the conditions. Mine would break walking through Walmart lol I even emailed trail angels (people I went to school with) in the town (Franklin) I grew up in. Even though none of them knew her or seen her....I still really believed she was doing it. It never occurred to me to question whether she was actually doing the walking or not.

The ground is so wet and mossy that lots of places are impossible to walk with no feeling below the knees even for me.

Gees now people will even be more skeptical of us as disabled people. I get more introverted by the day. HA!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown