Thread: Pain Management MD; How long does Oxycodone stay in urine

Pain Management MD; How long does Oxycodone stay in urine

My Dr does regular urine tests on me.
    I am prescribed Oxycodone 30, Fent patch, and Lyrica monthly. I take the Oxy only as breakthru PRN only. Some days if I can avoid it I definitively do.
    Last visit I was told there was no evidence of the Oxy in my system last 2 urine tests (1 month apart). He told me the Oxy should remain in urine for several days, depending on my metabolism.
    He then quizzed me what's up?
    I replied with an, "gee I don't get it either, but was wondering myself. Is it totally unusual?

oxy should be in your system about 3 days everybody metabolizes different. Also depends how often you take it. Fentanyl patch man your in big time pain. Very rare they prescribed that I am also chronic pain 24 years. I have a medtronic pump that administers hydromorphone direct to my spine.

He asked "what's up?" because he thinks you're selling it.

Especially if you've been filling your oxycodone prescriptions fairly regularly, but there is now pretty convincing evidence that you're not taking it very regularly (ie at each of the two recent tests there's none in your system). You don't say how many you're prescribed, or how it is prescribed. If he prescribed it to you as needed he can't really say much that it's not in your system (unless you have been filling them really often). If it's prescribed three times a day and you're not taking it several days and didn't bother to tell him that's also concerning.

I'm sure we all know why it's concerning, but just to illustrate the point if you've got oxycodone 30 prescribed three times a day that's around $3,000 a month if you were to decide to sell it on the street. $3000 a month just to hand over a bottle of pills is a pretty strong incentive for anyone so I'm sure he just wants to make sure you're not selling it.

If I was you I'd make damn sure my piss had oxycodone in it the next time I showed up unless you want to go without opioids (which isn't a bad move based on the long term evidence for opioids and chronic pain).
    Last edited by funklab; 03-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Thank you.
    Yeah,I thought they were thinking something as off as that. Got too much pain and difficulties in my life to be thinking entrepreneur. Not my thing; bad karma.
    I admit to avoiding it where possible; Much easier to succumb to taking it when the limb burning sets in. Gee, I'd have thought they say good for you for controlling it with such an imperfect medication. I defer it at times of medium pain to ensure I don't become tolerant of it when it extreme pain and I really need it. Isn't that's what pain management means anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    He asked "what's up?" because he thinks you're selling it.

Especially if you've been filling your oxycodone prescriptions fairly regularly, but there is now pretty convincing evidence that you're not taking it very regularly (ie at each of the two recent tests there's none in your system). You don't say how many you're prescribed, or how it is prescribed. If he prescribed it to you as needed he can't really say much that it's not in your system (unless you have been filling them really often). If it's prescribed three times a day and you're not taking it several days and didn't bother to tell him that's also concerning.

I'm sure we all know why it's concerning, but just to illustrate the point if you've got oxycodone 30 prescribed three times a day that's around $3,000 a month if you were to decide to sell it on the street. $3000 a month just to hand over a bottle of pills is a pretty strong incentive for anyone so I'm sure he just wants to make sure you're not selling it.

If I was you I'd make damn sure my piss had oxycodone in it the next time I showed up unless you want to go without opioids (which isn't a bad move based on the long term evidence for opioids and chronic pain).

How much does the fentanyl help your pain. Just wondering as I haven't found anything that will touch mine. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by stevegalliazzo View Post
    How much does the fentanyl help your pain. Just wondering as I haven't found anything that will touch mine. Thanks in advance
    Hey,
    I'm on 100 ug Patch, it's for baseline pain, Oxy is for breakthru.
    Does it work?
    I've been on them for 8+ years. It's hard to tell.
    I do know that it sucks if I run out.
    My rehab doc once told me that we SCI have enough to deal with in life, pain should not be part of it. That's a bunch of BS.
    My every-day is controlled by pain.

Interesting, since I have heard other patients claim they are taking their medication yet it doesn't show in their urine test. I suggested to all to request it be none again with them watching since mix up's happen. Personally, for 2+ years I've taken my Rx bottle of Hydromorphone to every appointment and after a few months they all but stop drug testing me (only 3 x last year).