Thread: Spastic control

Spastic control

I'm assuming it's pretty common to be able to control leg and core muscles when you have a spasms. I can move my legs all kinds of ways after spasm but after 10-30 seconds it's gone. Can most quads do this?

It would be great to have you complete your profile so that others can understand your injury level and level of completeness. Also include your age, gender, your location, and how long you have been injured.

Are you talking about voluntary movement? It sounds like you must be fairly incomplete if that is the case.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am incomplete C4-C5. I wouldn't say it is voluntary because I can't control it all the time. I only control it during the tone after a spasm. Once the tone subsides I can't control the muscles any more.

Voluntary control of spasticity

I'm assuming it's pretty common to be able to control leg and core muscles when you have a spasm. I can move my legs all kinds of ways after spasm but after 10-30 seconds it's gone. I have to think with my mind extend your leg, flex your calf, drive heels into ground to lift hips a bit. If I don't think it/try to do it nothing happens. Can most quads do this?

I am incomplete C4-C5. The movement is not really voluntary because I can't control it all the time. I only control it during the tone after a spasm. Once the tone subsides I can't control the muscles any more.

Is this common?

Likely applies to a subset of incomplete injuries. I'm a complete para and I can't control anything about my spasms. Sounds cool though.
    T3-T6 complete since Sept 2015.

By the way, I'd wager that people who can do what you describe are those who would derive the most benefit from transcutaneous stim. IMO transcutaneous stim acts as an amplifier of the small signals that manage to transit the injury site...I'm guessing your spasms do something similar.
    T3-T6 complete since Sept 2015.

I can't even imagine being able to control my spasticity - it has a mind of its own. It does sound like you'd be a good candidate for stim therapy (as Mize says).
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently considering all the different options out there for attempting to maximize recovery. Only hiccup is the desire to be part of the Wise Young trial at the Keck center this year. I don't want to do anything that would exclude me from participation in this trial.

Do you have any more info on where the transcutaneous stim is happening at?
    I'm already in a trial with an implanted stim device but would really like to try that too
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2