Thread: Joystick Knob Falling Off

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Joystick Knob Falling Off

I have this Invacare joystick which is a year old. The knob has fallen off twice in the past week. I don't understand why; I'm not doing anything unusual (20 years, 3 Invacare power wheelchairs without a problem). This style of knob has always worked well for me. Should I get the knob replaced? Is there a glue that would hold it without making it permanent (maybe Loctite Blue)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Pull the joystick off, wrap a piece of black electrical tape around the stem, push the joystick back on. Snug fit and in most cases, problem solved for less than a penny.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Electrical tape tightly wrapped around the base and putting the handle back on has always worked for me and doesn’t need replaced often

here(new zealand) they are often superglued on

Quote Originally Posted by cyfskid View Post
    here(new zealand) they are often superglued on
    But, If you ever want to/have to change one out, isn't it going to be tough to get off? Think you want tight enough fit that it doesn't fall off, but easy enough to pull off if you need to replace or change out. In other words...a good friction fit.

Sandpaper.

I use superglue just a drop or 2. If you need to take it off just tap it and twist a few times it will come off. It will come off in about a years or less even with superglue on it. You can use blue locktite also. Contact cement for plastic models work to.
    Just about anything will work that's sticky.
    Art

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Great call on the sandpaper SCI_OTR, maybe even a 6 inch or so, strip of emery cloth, if the grit size of grade 40 or 46 is abrasive and coarse enough. My fingers haven't worked for almost 15 years and I don't remember the feel of it.

SCI_OTR also put a short piece of what I believe is either 3/8'' or 1/2 inch Rubber un-slit pipe insulation or possibly car heater hose, on the top of my Permobil joystick. It made my powerchair much easier to steer, as I control the joystick against the base of my palm where I have some feeling. The application, whether foam or rubber, would significantly help folks who use their fingers, as it provides a much larger grip surface. Especially if you drive with the joystick between your thumb and your forefinger, if your brain can still understand that your touching something.

Maybe he can help solve this mystery for me?
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-15-2018 at 01:43 AM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

"Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis