Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toilet frustrations... suggestions needed!

New toilet frustrations... suggestions needed!

I just had my apt manager install a new 17" high toilet to replace my very low 15". My rep from NuMotion insisted it was the best thing to do, even though I've lived here for 31 years and managed well. I am 5'4", T11 complete para, and although transferring from toilet back to chair was a bit of a climb, I didn't have an issue. I have just ordered a new manual chair and Ride cushion and am rather apprehensive as the sides of the Ride are high so I went with her suggestion on getting the taller toilet for fear I may not make the leap from toilet to chair with the new high-sided cushion. I do not yet have the new chair or Ride so haven't yet transferred with either. Today I used the toilet for the first time and although the transfers to and from were awkward they were ok...just need to acclimate to it I'm sure. However, due to the fact my legs are so short I am finding it incredibly difficult to lean to one side while on the toilet to clean. I assume it's because my legs no longer have the leverage as when I was seated lower to the ground. And I'm certain this position, being less of a 'squat', is not going to aid in bowel movement. I am not using any sort of bowel regimen, I typically use the toilet daily... no suppositories or anything to prep. As an aside, I also lean and wash with the handheld shower sprayer and this new height is preventing me from doing that as I can't get my butt to clear the seat enough while leaning. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy and hate new transitions but it's incredibly frustrating. I don't have a specific question other than... anyone deal with anything similar and any suggestions ?? (already considered squatty potty stool but that's a difficult fit in my tiny space)

This version of the "squatty potty" folds up and out of your way when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This version of the "squatty potty" folds up and out of your way when not in use.
    Interesting. Just in the past two days, I was listening to NPR program, "The People's Pharmacy". They mentioned the "squatty potty" as a major sponsor and I did think makes perfect sense.

Hope it solves problem 'Oncewas'.
    https://www.squattypotty.com/

I had a foot stool when I was in high school as I was shorter then and my legs would dangle from the higher toilet. lol The only issue was that I lived at home and needed to move it constantly in consideration of my other family members.
    Insincere, manipulative, an idiot, selfish, vapid, biased and now a whore. Now petty. Eight personal attacks against the rules of this site.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

That toilet stool looks great for those with shorter legs.
    As non-SCI para I have struggled with toileting about 5 or more times a day. Due to aging and shoulder problems I've changed my transfer techniques a few times. What works best now is that we installed that device that fits into the holes securing the bolts for the toilet seat, and has two railings that one can adjust close or farther from the toilet seat, as well as up and down in the front. I rest my forearm on one railing as part of my 'sliding transfer' (can't lift up much anymore). I can then lean onto the armrests as needed for clean up.
    Sorry I don't know the name of this item but you might be able to Google toilet grab bars to check it out.

I'm sure you will work out a good, safe technique, but, yes so dang frustrating.

I scoot up as far as possible and clean from the back. I used to lean to the side as well and I really do not remember why and when that changed. Most likely something forced me to have to adapt. Most of the chair height seems to also be the elongated bowl as well so I would think you could do this. I also use wipes, not the flushable ones but the regular ones and I just grab the ones I used in my gloved hand and remove glove turning it inside out as I do and then just tie off the glove and throw it away and this makes it to where there is not an odor coming from the trash can. I do not like change as well and when we recently moved to a condo when making the bathroom accessible I also made it to where all my transfers were exactly the same as in the bathroom at our old house. I can lean to the right towards my chair and do so in the process to remove my pants but for whatever reason, I clean from the back. I cannot lean in the other direction since the toilet is too close to the wall to do that. I take two generic Fibercon every day mainly to help with bulk formulation but do not go to the bathroom but like every three days. That just seems to work best for me. I just lean forward and grab my ankles and push for a few seconds and then finish up with a little digital stimulation. I am a T 7/8 complete para. I am 6 feet tall so I realize that it is not the same for you as it would be for me. I can see how the squatty potty would come in handy for a lot of people. By the way a lot of times just the process of taking off my pants causes my bowels to move as once I have gotten my pants down far enough I pull one leg up at a time knee towards my chest to remove pants leg off each leg and a lot of times that pretty much causes my bowels to move but still finish up with digital stimulation to make sure movement is complete.
    Last edited by djrolling; 03-12-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot something

We had a' squatty potty, but I didn't like it, but I'm 6'2".
    What might work for you is an add on bidet the VA supplies the for quads.
    I like ours, my wife bought and installed one for us and it helps with cleaning.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

The bidet attachment for toilets gives you different sprays, our has heated water and a air blower to dry, I still use paper to proof test that I cleaned well.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    We had a' squatty potty, but I didn't like it, but I'm 6'2".
    What might work for you is an add on bidet the VA supplies the for quads.
    I like ours, my wife bought and installed one for us and it helps with cleaning.

Which one did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Which one did you get?
    bio bidet, been working for 3 years, there's a water hose that tees into the water supply for the toilet and an electrical cord that plugs into a standard electrical outlet.