Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Trail

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Go for it Trekker, you have the spirit of the people I am watching. There is nothing quite like this. These are the people who would have pushed wheelbarrows down the Oregon Trail. In a way, all of us dealing with severe disability know the adversity of the hiker in deep snow who can't find the trail or feel his feet. Good luck.
    That's a good analogy, hiking and sci, especially in the beginning of a hike, you're out of shape overpacked, walking up inclines miserable as hell, wondering what the hell you are doing, but it gets better.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    That's a good analogy, hiking and sci, especially in the beginning of a hike, you're out of shape overpacked, walking up inclines miserable as hell, wondering what the hell you are doing, but it gets better.
    That's what I seem to be seeing on YouTube. Amanda Bess posted day 23 today and did 15.7 miles, a big improvement over her beginning days and without any complaints of pain. She was walking on icy, knife edged ridges today, scary for me just to watch.

A quadriplegic already completed a thru walk of the Trail in 2016 wearing leg braces and forearm crutches.....she had to come off trail several times for pressure sore/brace issues but she finally completed it.

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...-shares-story/

She posted lots of videos to youtube.

Go for it....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    A quadriplegic already completed a thru walk of the Trail in 2016 wearing leg braces and forearm crutches.....she had to come off trail several times for pressure sore/brace issues but she finally completed it.

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...-shares-story/

She posted lots of videos to youtube.

Go for it....
    There is a discussion here about that:

Qudadriplegic versus Appalachian Trail

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=trail

I was so excited to hear about and sci walker on the applachian trail, having hiked about 600 miles of it, knowing about logistics and the support able bodied hikers need to complete the trail, it's hard to imagine an sci hiker making it, but it is possible.

When she claimed to have done the pacific crest trail with none of the trail angels never having heard of her and no hikers meeting her, it's not believeable, typically on the trail it's a community so everyone is aware of each other, not to mention that you need to carry lots of water, it's much drier out there than the appalachian trail. Because of this, I don't believe she did the Appalachian trail either, probably section hiking for photo ops, it's a shame.

Because she had the bionic legs, she needed batteries charged every other day, there are many sections that are 4-6 day hikes and walking with a heavy prosthesis, unless she had trail runners supplying her with essentials.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Wow I had no idea. I followed her on Facebook so I knew she took extended periods of time off to deal with brace issues. I grew up in a town that serves as a stop off point for hikers in WNC/North Georgia. I managed to stand on the trail lol When we were kids, we completed parts of it.

It never occurred to me that she might be a fraud.

At the same time though, I wondered how those batteries survived the moisture of the Appalachian forest. It is very wet.

I actually talked to her a few times and asked her why she did not use the other contraption that would have helped her gait. She was adamant that she wanted to power the braces herself.

I wondered why she wasn't posting like she did on the AT. She was on numerous talk shows claiming she completed it.

I had no idea there was a controversy. Now I have to go look lol

You have seriously busted my trust bubble lol I wanted to believe that she completed it.....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Well, I walked a halfmile today and a half mile yesterday using my new walker, I usually use walking sticks, but don't want any accidents that will set me back even further. I know it's not much, but I'm exhausted when I'm done. My goal is not the trail, but small sections, but it's going to be a while, in the meantime dreaming about it is a great motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    Well, I walked a halfmile today and a half mile yesterday using my new walker, I usually use walking sticks, but don't want any accidents that will set me back even further. I know it's not much, but I'm exhausted when I'm done. My goal is not the trail, but small sections, but it's going to be a while, in the meantime dreaming about it is a great motivator.
    You are more my hero than the people up on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    You are more my hero than the people up on the trail.
    Thanks, but I'm no ones hero, I've been on my butt too long because it's painful and exhausting to walk and do stuff, after my cancer treatments I was so bad off that I basically gave up, I'm just starting again shouldn't have quit trying.

I"m still watching YouTube videos daily of a number of thru hikers attempting to complete the 2200 mile AT this season. Usually 25% of hikers finish the whole hike but this year 50% (per forest ranger reports) have already quit due to blizzard conditions occurring again and again due repeated Noreasters sweeping the Appalachian ridges. It has also struck me that most of the hikers I am following have significant physical issues which may sideline them. I strongly recommend using the trail names or channel names I provide to check out their adventures and the scenery. Watching every day people submitting themselves to this trail is inspiring.