Thread: Anyone know of someplace in Minnesota that does on call emergency home care?

Anyone know of someplace in Minnesota that does on call emergency home care?

I kind of put myself in bad situation. Lived with my parents to long, they were my primary caregivers. Now my mom is hurt with a disc issue and in a lot of pain, so I'm scrambling to find help in the morning and night. I tried searching online but didn't find anything. I need help showering, bowel care(suppository, digital stimulation) and someone who can do or assist with a pivot transfer.

There are several independent living centers in Minnesota. You can find where they are by doing a Google search. If you call one of them they might be able to provide you with a resource for providing the services you need.Good luck in your search! Bob

Of course you best option for caregiving is hiring your own private caregivers and training them yourself. But, you probably need to bridge the gap between the time when you can get that accomplished and now. There is a national caregiver company called Bright Star that has been useful to me when I have needed short term caregivers to step in for NL, my wife and caregiver. There are several Bright Star locations in the greater Minneapolis area.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Have you explored insurance options? Just wondering as Medicare recently covered about 8 weeks of home therapy and they also had nursing services which I did not need. This is a "homebound" program for someone who cannot get out due to medical issue/s and is temporary. Such a program may give you time to set up some caregivers. I contacted a health care service company and they handled all the paperwork and took about a week to start seeing me 4 days a week.

Have you tried the county/state. If you work there is a grant called maepd or something close to that. When I was first injured I got medical assistance, some home remodeling. My worker told me Minnesota is one of the best states to be disabled in, was up to 45k a year was available for home care. I never used any of the care services just the medical and remod, they covered everything that my health insurance did not. They also covered all the costs needed to repair my van, transmission and ramp. I am in Dakota county, just south of st. Paul.

Medicare, Medicaid and insurances provide homemaker services and home aid.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Medicare, Medicaid and insurances provide homemaker services and home aid.
    CWO
    But not for long term and not for all services that might be needed.

See this link for a complete discussion of Medicare coverage for home health care: https://medicare.com/coverage/does-m...-health-aides/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you ever considered getting your own place Wheelman?
    We did three joint housing ventures (in Virginia) with the folks at Accessible Spaces based out of MN. In your state they have apartments where persons can live in their own place with or without PCA services. Philosopically I am in favor of integrated housing v. all disabled but these folks run a pretty good program here are a few links :

ASI housing in MN:
    http://www.accessiblespace.org/minne...ssible-housing

Housing/apartments with assisted living services through ASI:
    http://www.accessiblespace.org/minne...ving-locations

If it seems like something you are interested in it might be worth giving a call.
    Good luck with your situation.