Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Botox bladder and ditropan

gjnl,

Sorry, I should have put in the first paragraph of my last post... I don't put the catheter through the catheter tube. My concerns are the same as you mention contamination. I remove condom cath completely to cath. Also, I don't use adhesive condom cath.

You wrote:
    "The issue I see with cathing through a condom catheter is threading the catheter through the condom catheter tube without touching any surfaces of the condom catheter with the intermittent catheter before you get to the opening in the penis...lots of chances to contaminate the tip of the catheter before it enters the urethra."

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Using this method I don't cath through the condom cath. I keep a couple 32 oz. bags circulating and always clean out leg bag at cathing. Also clean off meatus with a little Ivory and then alcohol to get rid of any lubricant and trying for maximum sanitary.

There is side effects from Botox. It sure was for me.
    Art

So, I tried ditropan..
    Hated it again. With botox... Does it completely seal up the bladder sphincter? Will it stop leaking entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDude View Post
    So, I tried ditropan..
    Hated it again. With botox... Does it completely seal up the bladder sphincter? Will it stop leaking entirely?
    Botox does not affect the bladder sphincter at all. It will definitely not stop leaking entirely.

What it does do is partially paralyze the bladder muscle so that it is less likely to contract and cause you to leak. If they injected it into the sphincter it would cause more leakage due to the flaccid paralysis that botox causes.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The issue I see with cathing through a condom catheter is threading the catheter through the condom catheter tube without touching any surfaces of the condom catheter with the intermittent catheter before you get to the opening in the penis...lots of chances to contaminate the tip of the catheter before it enters the urethra.
    IMO this is irrelevant. Even before I did this method I got infections all the damn time. The condom catheter is theoretically sterile, and so are the catheters (assuming you use a new catheter, and sterile lube each time). I definitely touch the sides of the condom cath when doing it, but in my experience (albeit on chronic antibiotics) this hasn't increased the risk of infection. My bladder is well colonized at this point, so I don't really mind. I mean how dirty is a condom cath that you only put four or five sterile catheters through each day? No more contaminated than the tip of your penis that you're sweating all over all day long, I would wager... Although this method also rules out the possibility of cleaning the meatus with alcohol or iodine or whatever you use. For a short period of time I would squirt an ounce or so of isopropyl alcohol into the condom cath and swish it around before ramming an intermittent cath in there, but I don't bother any longer. Ideally (I guess) you'd have a fresh condom cath which you would remove, discard and put on another one after each intermittent cath, but no one is gonna pay for that (I did this for a short time and it was a huge pain in the ass and would have cost me a good $400 a month above and beyond the number of condom caths medicare is willing to pay for (which is exactly 35)).

And you don't want leaking to stop entirely. This would mean that you could sleep all night, and your bladder which you empty twice overnight (so presumably a total of just under 900 ml assuming you still need to cath in the morning) would continue to stretch and get bigger and bigger. The bladder doesn't work that way. If anything, botox runs the risk of relaxing your bladder to the point that you are able to distend it (I know this is part of how I messed up my bladder) to the point that it is holding more than it was ever meant to, causing semi-permanent damage to the bladder.

You WANT your bladder to leak at a certain volume (probably right around 500mL) otherwise you run the risk of distending it. The goal is not "no leaks ever" the goal is a balance of a bladder that can hold enough volume to allow you to live a reasonable life, and yet still empties when it gets filled to a certain point to avoid over-distending itself and causing damage.