Thread: Slide board questions

Slide board questions

How long should a slide board be? If somebody is 6.2? I wondered if there were any recommendations

I also wondered if there was any particular board that works better for transferring to a shower chair?

I don't think the height of the person is as important as the distance he/she will be trying to span. I have a couple of transfer boards. The one I use inside is 24" long, which is good enough to get into bed since I can get right next to the mattress. When I have to get in someones car I use a 30" board to span the distance. They make a white plastic sliding board that would be impervious to water in the shower. I think it is a mid range length of 27" If you only want to buy one go for the longer one as it will serve all purposes.

Eileen is correct. You should use the shortest board possible. Generally this is shortest for bed <--> wheelchair transfers, but longer for car transfers.

When transferring naked, you can use the same slide board, but you should put something between the board and your skin like a dry towel that will slide with you. Some find an upside-down paper Chux works too (paper side to the board), and always dry yourself and the board before transferring. Avoid powder as it gets all caked and can make the floor slippery for you or any caregivers.

I like the ones here (which we use) as they are sturdy, well made, and have an extra slick surface: www.ultraslick.com

(KLD)

I fold up a sheepskin pad and put it under one and a half butt cheeks and slide on it for the post-shower or post commode bare skin transfers.

I have 2 lengths also. 24" and 32" Mine are made by ADI. www.adirides.com 888-684-2234
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Same here. A 24" for transfers to and from bed, my stander, any short distances. And a longer one for the car. Mine are simple wood ones. I find it is ok for the shower, as it really doesn't get soaked or anything. I just wipe it off after.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

thanks

great info - thank you!

I was 6'2", now I am 4'6"! My wife says that when I was 6'2" everything was about right. Now she says I am far too good looking for my height :}!
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"