Thread: high blood pressure

high blood pressure

Dear SCI nurse,

After 36 years of paralysis c7-c8 level from a car accident with low blood pressure 100/68 and feeling great, I started feeling sick and I didn't know why, then I took my blood pressure and it was 210/104 for the first time I felt so sick. I went to the hospital and after tests they say all was normal and send me back home, then I got worse went back to the hospital and stayed for 3 days, they gave me medication for blood pressure and said people with my condition get high blood pressure. My blood pressure is low all day now like before without medication, but at night when I go to my bed it goes high and then I take the medication. Why my body feels so sick when my blood pressure goes high and why now after 36 years of spinal cord injury with no problems get it now? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
    My level is c7-c8

Please help me,
    Manouli

First, make sure there is nothing going on that would trigger autonomic dysreflexia, pressure issues, bladder/kidney infection, impacted bowels, etc.

Second, make an appointment with your primary care physician for a general medical work up and blood test, especially a Lipid Panel. Let him know your concerns about the hypertension you have been experiencing.

Third, make an appointment with a cardiologist who may want to do an electrocardiogram, an echo cardiogram, and/or pharmacological (drug) stress test that can be done for those individuals unable to walk on a treadmill.

Taking blood pressure medication without a complete examination and diagnosis, and only on the advice of an emergency room visit is not a good idea.

Thank you for writing to me! I went to the hospital 3 times for the same reason, and they gave me all kind of tests: kidneys, MRI, and cardiologist got me cardiogram and said that nothing was wrong and my heart is strong. The third time to the emergency they found a small amount of bladder infection and they gave me medication which I took and is fine now. I think now it gets me any time I go to my bet for my bowel program, my face gets red and hot, and blood pressure high.

manouli

Changes can occur anytime following an SCI. There must be some irritation occurring at night- clogged catheter, positioning a certain way, wrinkle in sheet, pressure ulcer, causing the AD. When sitting up the blood pressure will drop and when legs are not down the blood pressure should go up- but not that much. Even if you take the blood pressure medication that is just a temporary fix and prevention of the trigger is the key.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you SCI-Nurse for your valuable information. Three days now, I've got back my regular blood pressure,100/68 which for me is what I have for 36 years now and I feel great again! I was so scared and so sick, I hope it will never come back! I started doing my bowel program every other day now instead twice a week, maybe that's what was it. I still try to find out what was it.

Thank you,manouli
    Last edited by manouli; 03-13-2018 at 02:21 PM.